About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Dumb question of the day - structure of the code
nomax5 Offline

Dumb question of the day - structure of the code
I know virtually nothing about C++ or visual studio or the Esenthel Engine.
My plan is to subscribe to 3Dbuzz so I can get access to their video tutorials on C++ then follow the tutorials while learning from Esenthel examples.

I want to understand the structure of the code. So I've loaded up the Esenthel MMO into the editor, built it and then fired up Visual studio 2010 and built the MMO Server.exe and MMO Client.exe

Ran them and they seem to be working fine.

So I go back into the editor and load the MMO World and click Code Editor, (Recipe for disaster lol)

Looking at this image [Image: screenshot.png]

I am thinking the Esenthel tools like the World builder basically make Data.
I'm thinking the Esenthel engine has the code to manipulate that data.
And I'm thinking Main.es and Player.es are just telling the engine which bits of code to use and what to do with it.

Is that about right?

Is the Esenthel MMO simply 2 .es files and a bunch of data like models animations GUI ?

or is there more code somewhere that I've not found?
03-05-2013 04:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gwald Offline

RE: Dumb question of the day - structure of the code
wow, interesting way to learn C++!
I hope you can program something C++ like!
Read my blog, it can help you.
I don't have MMO, but yes two files it looks like.

These files use the Chr, Net,Obj etc, you have a license you should down load the object code to better understand what it's doing.

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-05-2013 10:22 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
nomax5 Offline

Thanks gwald,
The blog is a great idea I've bookmarked it and will go through it in detail, it is exactly what I'm looking for, Keep it up please.

I'm realistic and I'm not going to code a commercial game, but I think I might be able to make ropey working prototypes. If my ideas turn out to be fun and people like to play them, then I will look at the next stage.
03-06-2013 09:11 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Esenthel MMO is not just 2 code files.
What you have there on the image is not MMO demo, but a simplest project for starting game world with player character.
I'm just uploading newest 2.0 release with EMMO ported to it, so you can check it out, but I recommend starting with simpler tutorials (not multiplayer) if you're new to programming.
03-07-2013 04:56 PM
nomax5 Offline

I agree entirely with you Esenthel it is the conclusion I have come to

This is my thinking:
Multiplayer is a "nice to have" all successful multiplayer MMO's have gameplay which will work as a single player, most players on WOW are playing like single players grinding out items and quests etc.

Also if you make a single player game you're basically selling a box, but if you make a multiplayer game you are "providing a service" and in 2013 that means that service needs to be Free and you need to give the box away for Free if you want to compete with just about all other MMO's which are Free to Play.

So I'm focusing on Single Player.

I am however keeping a keen eye on multiplayer because it is a "very nice to have" so I am really happy you are porting EMMO to v2
03-07-2013 07:19 PM