About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[solved] Esenthel 2.0 issues (code)
AndrewBGS Offline

[solved] Esenthel 2.0 issues (code)
So I am having A LOT of trouble with coding in EE2, thus I decided to make a new topic. I was very excited with a lot of cooler editor tools, but then i started coding and my smile went away damn fast.

I can't manage to get the most basic thing working on my world.
I have my world (imported from EE1) and a Player character inside it. I run the application from Tutorials, camera modes (for example) and it works damn wrong:

- It doesn't set the camera to my player.
- The world is damn dark

Obviously, it works perfectly on the sample world. But it totally fails on mine. Can anyone please help me? I'm running out of ideas here.
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 02:22 PM by AndrewBGS.)
03-14-2013 04:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Esenthel 2.0 issues (code)
Sample world has environment set in the editor
1) open world
2) drag and drop an environment element into world viewport
3) done
03-14-2013 04:25 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Right, I'll think about why importing the same environment in my project got me a damn dark one, and copy-paste got me a bright one... but that's fixed somehow.
Still, the sample code won't set the camera on my player, why is that and how am I supposed to fix it?

Ok I found my answer myself. Somehow, if I increased the active range enough the camera was set on my player (my character was far from the 0,0 coord, probably not in active range... that mattered?) Anyway, I fixed this. Now the guy isn't animated, and I'm sure to have a ton of other problems, but I hope I can manage.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 04:41 PM by AndrewBGS.)
03-14-2013 04:30 PM
gwald Offline

(03-14-2013 04:21 PM)andreim44 Wrote:  So I am having A LOT of trouble with coding in EE2, thus I decided to make a new topic. I was very excited with a lot of cooler editor tools, but then i started coding and my smile went away damn fast.

It's not just you.. hang in there!
Regarding the Cam, from the code in your other thread, it wasn't pointed to player.

You need to look at the header and try to understand what the functions do and it's params.

read my blog, it might help you

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2013 10:41 PM by gwald.)
03-14-2013 10:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

Thanks. I always used to do that, as I only worked in VS before, and F12 was a huge help. Now I'm trying to work in EE script only to get used to it, and it's harder to understand thing.

So after a lot of trying, I still couldn't animate my character. It moves, but it's just as stiff as a piece of wood. I have the object class with all the correct parameters, I have tried to reproduce every single setting as in the Sample world from Tutorial projects.
As far as I can tell, everything is the same, except the organisation of elements, which i'm pretty sure is irrelevant.
So, what should I do to make my guy behave normally?
03-14-2013 11:03 PM
Rubeus Offline

Did you check out the animation tutorials?
03-15-2013 03:33 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

No, I am pretty sure I did not. Not for EE2 at least; what tutorials are you talking about?
All the ones I saw dragged and drop an object with working animations on it;
Which actually should be just what I'm trying to do - I imported my project from EE1, and my character doesn't have the associated animations. My guess is I'm not associating them correctly, but what else can I do besides add them all as element parameters in the character class and declare my player a character?
03-15-2013 11:23 AM
Rubeus Offline

The Apps\10-Animation\ (in EE 2)projects have a lot of animation code that might give you some insight to your problem. Try going through those.
03-15-2013 01:32 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

I don't want anything special, just the default walking around animations.
Which seemed to be included in most tutorials application with a character.

So I want my guy to MOVE HIS LEGS when walking. At the moment, he's just levitating in his T position around. I'm really not trying anything smart here, that's why I'm so annoyed I can't figure it out.

I'm using the Tutorial Camera modes code, copy-paste, just changing the world. And it does NOT animate the guy in my world. That's my problem.
03-15-2013 01:42 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Please look at defaullt character object parameters from the tutorials, there are "anim stand", "anim walk", .. and they're set to animations in your project.
Please make sure that your custom character object has same parameters with correct animation elements set.
03-15-2013 02:05 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

No, I am not passing any animation UID.
Are you saying I have to specify every animation for the character's movements myself?

Because I like to believe there's an easier way. In the Camera Modes the only UID in code is the world code. I am using the exactly same code there, but with the ID of my world. I'm fairly sure super.update() in my update() should handle those animations itself. Isn't that right?
(well obviously it's not, since my guy isn't animated; but I don't think i have to manually specify all the animations myself, do I?)

Ok, finally we're getting closer to what I want to know.
Yes, I did all those things manually. I took my OBJ_CHR class editor imported from EE1, it was empty. I manually added all those parameters, giving them exactly the same names as in the tutorial project. And I dragged&dropped the corresponding animations for each one. I even added 2 (fists), could the be a problem?
The only difference I see is the place in the resource manager my resources are stored in; I have the object classes in the Objects folder, and all animations in Anim folder, separated from OBJ folder. Could either of these cause my problem?
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 02:10 PM by AndrewBGS.)
03-15-2013 02:06 PM
gwald Offline

I removed my post as it was a different tut file.

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-15-2013 02:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

Finally! I was on my way of building a screenshot with all the data relevant to this, when I noticed the difference:

I had my EE1 project imported, and that one had all the parameters set in "object" BASE. And here the code doesn't seem to consider base at all, and my character was linked to base (and base was linked to char class, but apparently the editor overlooked that). So the object character didn't have access to OBJ_CHR class, only to base object parameters.

Well... thanks for the help, despite figuring out myself, i couldn't have done it without some outside ideas.
But, as a conclusion, I think importing from EE1 to EE2 has some issues.

Thanks for the help people.
03-15-2013 02:21 PM