About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Code editor line number
candam Offline

RE: Code editor line number
(03-15-2013 08:07 PM)Tottel Wrote:  
(03-15-2013 08:03 PM)candam Wrote:  like we need an api documentation that explains every function and class of the methods of the engine

How does that differ from checking out the header files? You can just ctrl + F.

(03-15-2013 08:03 PM)candam Wrote:  secondly engine editors lacks some user experience I hope Mr.Greg can take a look at some of the current famous engines like udk and make use of it's beautiful and user experience it has

I think the UDK is horrible to work with. I don't see what you could possible learn from its user experience..

Well for the first point if you're professional and can understand everything in plain c++ then not all people are like even the biggest engines is doing a big documentation for it's api this is simple bro

and for the second part about user experience

Udk has many editors (separated ones )

And I think that's far superior than having all of the editors in a single windows

I guess that's not cool for the ram management and user experience

look at the famous engines and you'll get my point

My point of view maybe is wrong

so I respect what you're thinking smile
03-15-2013 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

What I meant for point 1 was that (nearly) every function in EE has a description next to it, so it acts as an API.

And actually, UDK has most editors inside the main client too. About 1-2 years ago, EE had all editors in separate windows and it was annoying to work with; this is a huge improvement, in my opinion. smile

And yep, this is just my opinion as well; I realize others might think very differently. wink
03-15-2013 09:01 PM
candam Offline

(03-15-2013 09:01 PM)Tottel Wrote:  What I meant for point 1 was that (nearly) every function in EE has a description next to it, so it acts as an API.

And actually, UDK has most editors inside the main client too. About 1-2 years ago, EE had all editors in separate windows and it was annoying to work with; this is a huge improvement, in my opinion. smile

And yep, this is just my opinion as well; I realize others might think very differently. wink

Don't think I don't admire this engine I'm totally impressed by it

but I'm only still getting used to it

I'm having some problems to understand the editors but I'll stick to it until I get used to it smile

You know something I suffered so much to purchase this engine and thanks for Greg has has helped me alot I owe him I really do
(This post was last modified: 03-15-2013 09:37 PM by candam.)
03-15-2013 09:35 PM
gwald Offline

lol I think people forget not all indie are C++ coders nor have access to one grin

And Yes, documentation (API & Tools, training videos) IMHO is the other big issue holding it back.

I'm sure there's a lot of good coders trying out the engine and just giving up due to that alone.

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
03-15-2013 09:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

(03-15-2013 09:49 PM)gwald Wrote:  lol I think people forget not all indie are C++ coders nor have access to one grin

And Yes, documentation (API & Tools, training videos) IMHO is the other big issue holding it back.

I'm sure there's a lot of good coders trying out the engine and just giving up due to that alone.

That's what I'm talking about documentation and tutorials (video) must be better so I hope that the best developers here will make tutorials even if it's paid just to push new people forward that's it smilegrin
03-15-2013 09:54 PM
gwald Offline

I hope they put in a lot of ads in their video and make a lot of money from them!

I think Esenthel likes having all it's coders on the forum!
Coders aren't a social bunch, and if I had full API docs, I wouldn't be here!
Saying that, there's a lot of hand holding for coders here..

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men." cool hand luke.

My Blog

03-15-2013 10:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

(03-15-2013 10:02 PM)gwald Wrote:  I hope they put in a lot of ads in their video and make a lot of money from them!

I think Esenthel likes having all it's coders on the forum!
Coders aren't a social bunch, and if I had full API docs, I wouldn't be here!
Saying that, there's a lot of hand holding for coders here..

"What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men." cool hand luke.

I agree with you completely but believe me everything is going to change only time smile
03-15-2013 10:05 PM
gwald Offline

(03-15-2013 10:05 PM)candam Wrote:  I agree with you completely but believe me everything is going to change only time smile

Search of documentation here, it goes back a longgggg time pfft
I'm not complaining, I'm getting by lol

My Blog

03-15-2013 10:16 PM
candam Offline

(03-15-2013 10:16 PM)gwald Wrote:  
(03-15-2013 10:05 PM)candam Wrote:  I agree with you completely but believe me everything is going to change only time smile

Search of documentation here, it goes back a longgggg time pfft
I'm not complaining, I'm getting by lol

Believe me it's just about time Greg is really busy with the big roadmap the engine has so we must collaborate together to make the engine better by tutorials ,documentation we really can support the engine we really must grinsmile
03-15-2013 10:23 PM
Rubeus Offline

(03-15-2013 08:03 PM)candam Wrote:  udk
(03-15-2013 08:03 PM)candam Wrote:  and make use of it's beautiful and user experience it has

Have you ever USED UDK? Trying to do anything with it is like trying to push an elephant through a room full of mice. It's documentation is also lacking---MUCH more so than Esenthel. It's painful.
Most of the guys that use it (AAA titles here in Chicago) end up re-writing half the engine code anyways to make it do what they want. And I would have too, if I had had the time for it. The code is a big mess, like a pot of spaghetti in the clothes dryer.

/rant
03-16-2013 12:12 AM
candam Offline

(03-16-2013 12:12 AM)Rubeus Wrote:  
(03-15-2013 08:03 PM)candam Wrote:  udk
(03-15-2013 08:03 PM)candam Wrote:  and make use of it's beautiful and user experience it has

Have you ever USED UDK? Trying to do anything with it is like trying to push an elephant through a room full of mice. It's documentation is also lacking---MUCH more so than Esenthel. It's painful.
Most of the guys that use it (AAA titles here in Chicago) end up re-writing half the engine code anyways to make it do what they want. And I would have too, if I had had the time for it. The code is a big mess, like a pot of spaghetti in the clothes dryer.

/rant

I have another point of view ^_^

smile

UDK has many editors they're all get the job done but that doesn't point that the engine does'nt have a drawback issues like the very big license ,
it needs a big team to deal with it

so it's not that good for indie developers
I think so smile
03-16-2013 10:14 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Due to popular request, will be available in next release:

Attached File(s) Image(s)

03-18-2013 10:45 PM
gdalex Offline

That's great, thanks smile
03-18-2013 10:53 PM
candam Offline

(03-18-2013 10:45 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Due to popular request, will be available in next release:

You're the best I'm really happy grinlol
03-18-2013 11:01 PM
macklebee Offline

amazing support... line numbers and the dark colored scheme...
03-19-2013 12:59 AM