About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Split Animation Question
Scarlet Thread Offline

Split Animation Question
Hi all,

I've been making my customized animation system for Game::Chr. Everything is going fine so far. However, I'm not sure how to approach split animations in EE.

By split animations I mean something like animating the lower half of the body to do a different animation to the top half. eg. running legs + aiming arms etc.

In previous engine's I would do it by finding a bone such as the hip and then animating all of it's children (which go up to the upper body) and then finding the pelvis and animating all it's children with different animation (which go down to the lower body.

Just wondering what the best way to do it is in EE?

From looking at some of the source and the headers, I might be able to use (CSkeleton::disable(int i, bool disable); to:
1. Disable waist up bones
2. apply animations for legs (eg. running)
3. enable waist up & disable waist down
4. apply animation for torso (eg. aiming)

Would this work? or is it totally the wrong use for these functions..

Thanks
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 01:49 PM by Scarlet Thread.)
03-16-2013 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Split Animation Question
You should be able to use blending to blend your upper and lower body animations together. The blending weight will help you customize how much each one takes effect.

Edit: Did you see the animation blending tutorial?
(This post was last modified: 03-16-2013 03:12 PM by Rubeus.)
03-16-2013 03:12 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

CSkeleton::disable is for completely disabling animating a bone (for example fingers/small bones, when the camera is distant from the player, and they don't need to be animated)

As Rubeus says, you should use blending, have 1 animation that applies to only few bones, and 2nd animation that applies to other bones.

http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Animation
Quote:If a bone doesn't have any keyframes, it will simply not affect the animation blending process.
03-16-2013 09:26 PM
Scarlet Thread Offline

Yes I know about / how to do animation blending. Thing is that I didn't realise it was used for split animations in EE because in the last engine I used blending and split animations had nothing to do with each other so I'm just not used to this yet.

(03-16-2013 09:26 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Animation
Quote:If a bone doesn't have any keyframes, it will simply not affect the animation blending process.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.
03-17-2013 09:10 AM
para Offline

As a quick hack, i'm using CSkeleton::updateMatrixChildren(Int bone) to apply the second animation only to the bone and it's children,.. eventually I'll get around and convert some of my bought models animations to be more flexible and blend friendly, but until then I'm doing it like so:

animate( 1st )
updateMatrix
animate2 ( 2nd )
updateChildren( bone_index )
03-20-2013 03:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply