About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The Kingdom Of Soul
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: The Kingdom Of Soul
Thanks guys.

Work continues on the Smithy. This and it's associated Blacksmith is going to be the focus of my next AI design and will
hopefully act as a template for the rest of the villagers. The village guards, patrols and change of guards is already
done and up and running.

The intension is to have all the villagers perform a daily cycle related to the game time. So they all sleep at night,
wake in the morning, go to their various work places, perform their work activities before returning home at the end
of their working day. A certain amount of random variation will be built to make it seem as if they are not performing
the same tasks all the time.

I am also hoping to build in an interactive element too, where passing Villagers will engage in conversation and will
gather for occasions like the town crier to hear the news etc.

This everyday activity will be exited should the Village come under threat whereby the villagers will revert to their
own Finite State Machine behaviour which will see the meeker members flee to their homes and lock their doors whilst
the more adventurous villagers take up arms and defensive positions along with the town guards. Once the threat has
passed or been defeated then they will revert back to their Village Life scenarios.

There is a lot of work involved in this and in getting the balance right, so its going to take a while, but it should
be its own reward as hopefully the village takes on a life of its own.

A screenshot of the Blacksmith sleeping:

11-12-2014 12:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedOcktober Offline

absolutely first rate... maybe a lil work on that plate, but that's just small stuff... this is AAA quality work...

--Mike
11-12-2014 04:53 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks for the comments Mike, it's always good to get feedback! Bang on with the plate comment, that's been replaced already. I'm gradually upgrading the quality of a lot of the static models.

I'm looking to develop the majority of the NPC AI framework now without getting too involved with the NPC animation as that's likely to radically change/improve with the arrival of my Perception Neuron Motion Capture system in February ... assuming they meet the deadlines of course wink
11-13-2014 01:31 PM
georgatos7 Offline

Awesome work on the mood and on the characters in general, did you do them yourself the look amazing? Also i like the day night transition and i plan to take it as reference if or when i make mine. Lots of good ideas, info and reference material in the thread.
(This post was last modified: 11-13-2014 04:15 PM by georgatos7.)
11-13-2014 04:01 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Many thanks.

Regarding the characters, I'm not a modeller so they are simply carefully chosen purchased models that fit my requirements. The only changes I've made are to rig and animate each with facial animation for speech.

I have to say I have had to modify quite a lot of the buildings geometry though; as pre-purchased models are often not really 'game ready'.

Although I'm predominantly a programmer I do love level design and could probably spend far more time than I have available exploring that smile
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 03:13 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
11-14-2014 10:50 AM
georgatos7 Offline

Nice, i also do like to use a mixture of custom and 3rd party models in my scenes since indeed time is limited plus i do like to have some good models as reference material and as a base so that later i can expand upon that. Haven't done any serious rigging animations though since when i gave it a try it felt like a nightmare :( .

Again awesome job and keep us updated.
(This post was last modified: 11-14-2014 05:41 PM by georgatos7.)
11-14-2014 05:15 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

lol ... agreed, rigging and animating is a nightmare!!! I only attempt it where I absolutely have to. But lots of people regard
programming as a nightmare so I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder smile

I have great respect for character modellers and animators, in fact anyone who has acquired great skills in whatever discipline.

A couple more screen shots of the level as it develops:

(This post was last modified: 11-22-2014 09:41 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
11-15-2014 01:30 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Made quite a bit of progress over the last few weeks. The AI engine now has full control of the NPC movement, building access, animations and showing/hiding of additional meshes using a scripted Action based system. Makes it very easy now to put together sequences of movements and actions for NPCs and embed these into scenes, scenarios and plots.

Again I'm ensuring I have all the required mechanics firmly in place before attempting to put the gameplay in place. Still quite a few things on my list to go but it's getting there.

Simple demonstration of this in use on the Blacksmith:

For anyone interested, this is the script for the blacksmiths behaviour:

Code:
    if DEBUG_INITIALISE then WriteLog(GetName(agent) ..
                ": Blacksmith_onInit - entry point") end

-- Assign any property values for this instance that may have been defined
    -- in the SpawnAgentsPropertiesManager
    SetAgentInstancePropertyValues(agent, "Blacksmith_onInit")

ScheduleAction(agent, "TurnToMatchWPFacing",
            ActionInsertionMode.AIM_APPEND_TO_CURRENT_PLAN)
    ScheduleAction(agent, "RandomWait",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "WalkTo", GetObject("workLocation_WP2"),
    ScheduleAction(agent, "TurnToMatchWPFacing",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "AdditionalMesh1Show",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "Hammer",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "RandomWait",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "AdditionalMesh1Hide",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "WalkTo", GetObject("homeLocation_WP5"),
    ScheduleAction(agent, "AdditionalMesh2Show",
    ScheduleAction(agent, "WalkTo", GetObject("building_TheVillageBlacksmiths"),
    ScheduleAction(agent, "Sweep",
12-08-2014 12:21 AM
3DRaddict Offline

What an outstanding piece of detailed work!
And what makes it even more amazing is its being assembled and programmed by only one man.
Really something to aspire to... keep on going, pixel! grin
12-08-2014 04:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgatos7 Offline

Wow, did the guy just went in to the actual position where the broom was to get it? It looks very lively, i really like this amount of detail and the way the commands are given looks very streamlined and easy to handle. That's very well done.
Also, nice interior.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 06:49 AM by georgatos7.)
12-08-2014 05:47 PM
Rofar Offline

Very nice Pixel. Glad to see you have made some more progress lately smile
12-08-2014 11:35 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(12-08-2014 04:38 AM)3DRaddict Wrote:  ...
Really something to aspire to... keep on going, pixel! grin

Many thanks for the support and kind words smile

(12-08-2014 05:47 PM)georgatos7 Wrote:  Wow, did the guy just went in to the actual position where the broom was to get it?

No, there isn't even a broom in there wink However, he could just as easily do that, the only thing I'm lacking at the moment for that level of detail is the associated animations to go with actions like that. I'm hoping once I get my Perception Neuron kit (motion capture system) I'll be able to produce a lot more animations to make things like grabbing an existing broom possible! So I'm hanging fire on any detailed animations for now.

(12-08-2014 11:35 PM)Rofar Wrote:  Very nice Pixel. Glad to see you have made some more progress lately smile
Thanks Rofar smile

Next on the list is some procedural animation support such as having NPCs looking at the player as you pass them.

I also want to have another go at getting Animation Driven Motion into my engine. I tried this previously in another engine and it made a big difference to the realism of the movement, especially whilst animation blending was active, but I couldn't get it to work sufficiently well with Esenthel the last time I tried.

Ideally I'd also like to have some proper IK foot placement working but I'm not sure I'll ever have sufficient time to devote to making that happen ... we shall see.

After that it's building on the Village AI. I'd like to reach the point where I have about 40 to 50 village NPCs of various types going about their daily routines running as scripted ambient behaviour. Each NPC will also have its own FSM scripts too to enable them to break out of the ambient behaviour mode and react to various game play situations, returning to ambient behaviour once those situations pass.

Scripted control of camera placement and angle is also on my list as I have everything else needed for scripted 'cut scene' type scenarios.

One things for sure ... game and game engine design is never dull grin

[UPDATE]

I now have Animation Driven Motion working, realised what I was doing wrong on the previous occasion I tried this and failed blushing

Will move on to coding some procedural animation support now.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2014 05:37 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
12-09-2014 11:34 PM
Dalmat Offline

Hey Pixel!

Give that blacksmith a wife!! Now! grin
01-19-2015 02:57 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Ha ... grin

I'm sorry to say that since the donkey died she's been carrying ore from the nearest mine but I'm sure she'll be back to normal duties once the villagers actually pay their bills wink
01-19-2015 03:50 PM
Dalmat Offline

hahaha, merciless system.

At least she doesn't worry about fingernails and what dress will she have tonight grin
01-27-2015 01:11 PM