About Store Forum Documentation Contact

The Kingdom Of Soul
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: The Kingdom Of Soul
Thanks Ecco smile I'm really looking forward to seeing what you and your talented team of artists can do with the engine.
04-24-2013 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

I finished the graveyard last night whilst having a break from reading through Bloody Massacre and all the associated engine header files.

It will be onto animation next once the code review is complete. Then work commences on extracting the level data I need for the AI engine as the first part of the integration.

Still really excited by this engine smile

04-30-2013 07:35 PM
Ozmodian Offline

Looking good Pixel. Thanks for sharing the update!
04-30-2013 08:42 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Very nice stones, plants and trees. As well as other models. Did you make them yourself or you got them from somewhere?
04-30-2013 09:00 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(04-30-2013 08:42 PM)Ozmodian Wrote:  Looking good Pixel. Thanks for sharing the update!
Thanks and you're welcome. I know I love watching other peoples projects develop.

(04-30-2013 09:00 PM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  Very nice stones, plants and trees. As well as other models. Did you make them yourself or you got them from somewhere?
No I didn't make them, I'm a programmer not a modeler. I've been collecting/buying models that catch my eye for many years now from all sorts of sources, slowly building up a good library I can pick and choose from.

I do modify models sometimes if there is a need to, I can manage minor alterations to the geometry, re-texturing etc. I find some 'off the shelf' models require alteration for better physics compatibility, addition of collision meshes and sometimes. The fortification walls in my level for instance required the upper walkways widening considerably to allow for multiple NPCs to pass without physically colliding. I'm guessing the original designer never actually tried them 'in game'.

It's certainly not the ideal way to go, working with a modeler on the team is a much nicer way to work and has so many more advantages especially regarding consistency of look and feel. I'm really just reconstructing my original test level to allow me to develop and test the game mechanics I need for my game. I moved to Esenthel from another engine in March.
04-30-2013 10:25 PM
PhilipWylde Offline

Outstanding work. This is a world I would happily spend time in. I look forward to seeing more as you proceed. *salutes*
05-08-2013 09:58 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Very nice touch with the dry leaves on the ground. I'm wondering how you made that; Is it a different texture, or did you somehow manage to apply the leaves over the normal texture?
05-09-2013 07:41 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Cheers Philip, glad you like it smile

@AndrewBGS. Thanks, the leaves are actually just a simple textured plane with normal map. I simply painted them onto the terrain using the vegetation painter.
05-09-2013 12:50 PM
TheElk Offline

This is looking fantastic keep it up.
05-09-2013 02:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
scotty1121 Offline

Nice, I can't tell whether or not that's a bumped texture or you actually have other models there, I really like the medieval style you're going for. Good job.
05-09-2013 02:42 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks again guys for the enthusiastic response, it's a motivating factor for sure as are the many other interesting projects I see in the showcase.

I have now started on the long haul of porting all my code across into Esenthel, in order to bring some life and game play to my level, so won't have much more to show for a while.

[EDIT]Progress is going well, have animated animals and flying birds now after porting a couple of classes over. Have derived a new class from the Animatable class and extended it to support swapping of animations so I can have powered flight and gliding for the bird flight. Have learnt a lot more about manipulating objects in Esenthel today too.

Will get some human characters in there next then start the work on integrating the AI Engine ... no small job unfortunately!
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 09:59 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
05-10-2013 08:21 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

I did a quick flythrough video of my test level today before moving on to some more coding. The test level still needs a lot adding to it but is sufficient for AI testing purposes, still loads of code to port too.

Video browser doesn't seem to display in IE 10 so here's the link if you can't see it: Video

[EDIT] First character in game, animation appears fine but awaiting my NPC class to be ported:

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2013 07:40 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
05-12-2013 03:03 PM
dylantan Offline

Looking good. Nice work
05-15-2013 01:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

I like the soldier... but can he see?
05-15-2013 10:38 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Thanks Dylantan.

@Rubeus ... blind as a bat mate, he'd fall over his own shoe laces if he had any! But with a Halbert like that ... no one's yet dared challenge him grin

(There is actually a narrow slat for his eyes, it's just not visible in that shot)
05-15-2013 11:23 PM