About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Problems with Code Syncing
xzessmedia Offline

Problems with Code Syncing
Code syncing seems to not work for me..

on my windows machine i go to synchronize codes and then on my mac machine i do the same... something gets transferred but when i click on the code, it could not open the file

anybody checked this?

Royality Free Game Ressources
www.xzessmedia.de
03-20-2013 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Problems with Code Syncing
I had it too. Try closing your file (just by clicking on it in the resource view), and it might ask you if you wish to save the file. If so, just say "yes" and sync again.

http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=6120
03-21-2013 02:37 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

Step by step instructions how to reproduce the issue would be great (starting from an empty project, with attached archived project, and video showing the error)

Thanks
03-25-2013 12:07 PM
xzessmedia Offline

thank you guys!
tottel that fixed it, but i often get bad sync when i switch between my mac machine and pc.. the result is a messed code as if some wrong Keys got inside it.
Luckily, its just minimal wrong, about 3-5 lines
i will try reproduce the steps to get same result, undo for code editor would be great and version revisioning so you dont sync it to mess and destroy the project on all machines. id like to have the ability to backup with a click on the server. but im feeling like a child in wonderland with esenthel, so i dont want to cry for new features all the time, instead again: thank you greg, keep on! Esenthel is far the best low budget engine, i can always recommend to everyone!
Thanks everyone to be part of this nice community, and its so nice to meet so many known people from leadwerks, blitzbasic, xors, 3impact and many more communities..
The last weeks i mostly found myself laying in bed, sleepless awake, sorting out project ideas, possibilities until i had to go to work, or if i got sleep i dreamed about esenthel engine.
I love it, greg what have you done to me :-)

Royality Free Game Ressources
www.xzessmedia.de
03-25-2013 08:43 PM
xzessmedia Offline

ok i checked again with latest version...

i worked on machine 1 which is win7, synced the code.. on machine 2 which is mac i synced also, i retrieved the data, after some working on the code on machine 2, i saved file and synced the code to the server again (to upload it) and all my code messed like this (machine2).. hours for crap:

// Move with Gyroscope
Vec Gyro = Gyroscope();
Vec Accel = Accelerometer();

actor.addForce(Gyro*s) if(Touches.elms()>0)
{
if(Touche / {
w if(Topche
[0].db()==true)
{
V Glayrro[0].posc); {
V P G Playrro[0].posc);set(Vec 0, , 0))
V A =}

af(Touches[0].arcgging() =t }

a af(Touches[0].arcgging()==true)
{
/if(Dist2(Touches[0]. t

REALLY ANNOYING!
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013 05:59 AM by xzessmedia.)
04-30-2013 05:31 AM
Rubeus Offline

I uploaded my project (Win 7 pro x64 EE Editor x64 licensed) to my server. When I pulled it down on another machine (XP 32-bit EE Editor 32 bit demo), none of the code files could not be opened. The resource files all worked. The XP machine was a fresh install of EE 2.0.
Re-syncing did nothing, and deleting/redownloading the project also did nothing to fix it. I was unable to try Tottel's solution-I don't currently have access to that PC.
04-30-2013 06:40 AM
xzessmedia Offline

+1 for a backup slot for projects (for every project there should be 1 backup slot) or code syncing with supporting version revisions
04-30-2013 03:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I'm using google library for merging code changes http://code.google.com/p/google-diff-match-patch/
perhaps it's not perfect for code syncing (does anyone know free open source alternative library for syncing codes that supports three-way merge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_(revi...-way_merge ?)
These problems would be solved once I implement "◦manual editing of code syncing conflicts" from the roadmap.
Or if anyone could provide steps to reproduce the issue from scratch (perfectly with sample projects) then perhaps I could solve this quicker.
05-01-2013 12:36 PM
xzessmedia Offline

sorry im not sure, but i guess the problem occurs inside this scheme:

machine I (full code upload) -> machine II (sync and after that remove some lines or replace some parts completely with something new and sync again) -> machine I (sync and got crap)
05-02-2013 03:52 AM
Rubeus Offline

Here's some more detailed information:

Server: Win7 Pro x64
Clients: Win7 Pro x64 - Licensed(same machine as the server),
XP 32 - Demo (external IP)

Creating a project on either client then uploading causes the project on the server to corrupt the code. Images, models, etc seem to transfer fine.
Steps:
1) Connect to server(either client), new project
2) Add new application (Application 1), new code file in App 1 (Code 1).
3) Paste contents of Tutorial 1, then build.
4) Either:
A) Delete project and re-download from server
B) Connect to server on a different client
C) Copy project from the server to client project directory
5) Open the project, navigate to Application 1 and open Code 1

At this point the project says 'Can't Load "Application 1\Code 1" file'.

.7z  4ebu-56j-rq4-srjpu799m^r.7z (Size: 448 bytes / Downloads: 1)

I get the same error if I use the local client to create a new version of the same project, then copy it directly to the server projects folder. When the remote client downloads the project, it can't load the file.

.7z  x1lil2al!px4kmdwsby7w372.7z (Size: 450 bytes / Downloads: 1)

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get as far as getting the gibberish that Xzess was getting. I just can't upload or download code from the server at all. :-/

I'm continuing to test things that it might be on my end.
05-19-2013 06:25 PM
TheElk Offline

Rubeus

Sorry to here you are have problems, Thank god we are not.

We are syncing just fine between the server and clients the only thing we have found is you have to sync 2 times for the code's to sync. But everything else is automatically
syncing. It has to be something that is corrupting it along the way. just my 2 cents

We have a client in Slovakia and the server is in the US.

Server: vista Pro x64
Clients: Win7 Pro x64
Clients: vista Pro x64

If I can help you let me no.

TheElk
05-19-2013 07:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

Thanks for that info, TheElk. I tried what you said-I synced code 2 times in a row, and it let me open the file. X_x I feel a bit silly, now.

Hopefully Esenthel will get this fixed soon. smile
05-19-2013 07:36 PM
jagatai Offline

Wanted to chime in as well, i have an artist who works remotely we have a repo which we both connect in order to collaborate, just about every element syncs fine with the exception of codes (well short of clicking over and over again the sync codes option) so basically any coding changes i make he is unable to compile and see :(

The only work around that seems to work for us, is for me to make sure my art assets are in sync with his (which they usually are) and then i take my full local project folder and copy it into our repo (Server Projects) folder.

Some visual indicator would help, at least inform that some form of syncing in occurring and its progress.

-J
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 04:06 AM by jagatai.)
05-19-2013 09:05 PM
slackjawx Offline

for some reason I get about 6mb down and then it stops dead. I disconnect, and it gets another 6mb and stops.
05-23-2013 08:13 PM
xzessmedia Offline

damn this is about the 20x i lost my data... together many many hours of work..
this is really painful and demotivates..
for me this is the absolutely top priority bug of esenthel

please if you dont find a solution, just add the possibility to choose the code by date and serial key / user... so nothing will get lost but dont sync working code to mess hell!

for all users: don't sync your code and always use local backup projects where you just copy your game ressources until this has been fixed
06-02-2013 10:13 PM