About Store Forum Documentation Contact

looping ogg sound
yvanvds Offline

looping ogg sound
Hey,

I think something is bugged here. When i try to play a looping sound like this:

Sound s;
s.play(id, true);

It should play looping. But while this works with with .wav files, very short .ogg files are just played once. Longer ones do loop. I've added a zip with an ogg and wav version of the same sound for testing. They are both 0.2 seconds long.

Regards,

yvan

Attached File(s)
.7z  shortsamples.7z (Size: 23.79 KB / Downloads: 5)
03-29-2013 02:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: looping ogg sound
I think your OGG file is corrupt somehow.
I've tried opening wav file in Goldwave program, save as OGG, and tested that OGG and it worked fine.
03-29-2013 02:44 PM
para Offline

I thought it was just me not encoding to .ogg properly.

My first encode caused EE to crash, second just didn't loop, while the free ambient samples I obtained from the net loop flawlessly, but they are much longer then my short electric humming sound. Tested your samples with the same results...

- edit:
I used goldwave in the past, good stuff, will try it again. I was using official oggvorbis libs (xiph.org)
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 03:11 PM by para.)
03-29-2013 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

yes, thanks. It's working with Goldwave.

Mind you, I am always using Steinberg Wavelab. That's about as pro as you can get with audio editing. I never suspected a problem there.

regards,

yvan
03-31-2013 09:23 PM
Rubeus Offline

Esenthel, if the official vorbis libs and a respectable program like Wavelab both have issues, is it possible that Goldwave has a bug or a non-standard encoder? If Esenthel Engine's decoder is based to work for these files, then only Goldwave would work 100%.
04-01-2013 03:39 AM
yvanvds Offline

It seems a bit early to jump to that conclusion. I have not used esenthel's sound routines very often, so there's not much evidence to go by. And it's not like other users are often asking questions about this.

I'm a bit busy this week, but i'll try to test some more later on. (I'm almost certain i have used audacity too, earlier on. And i don't recall any problems with that.)
04-01-2013 11:57 AM
xzessmedia Offline

Looping short ogg files work for me, im using audacity, but why dont you use Wav Files for Short Loops?
04-02-2013 05:29 AM
yvanvds Offline

Well, i guess this topic can be closed :-)

When i export to ogg with audacity, everything is ok. Must be something wrong with wavelab, i think.

As for Xzessmedia's question: I was merely checking things out. But even for short files, wav does about double the filesize. Although they're probably compressed when the game's pak file is created. And yes, ogg also slows things down a bit. So you might be right, wav could be the better solution in some cases.
04-04-2013 04:57 PM