About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Physics and aligning
Nox_A15 Offline

Physics and aligning
Esenthel 1.0
I have quite a big problem with physics and aligning. Template of every object in the Model Editor has aligning turned on by default ("Align Y to top"). Back in the day we created a lot of rocks, which we use to make caves, for example. We decided to add physics later, just to a chosen rocks.

The problem is:
1. Every object with aligning turned on will adjust its position to its physics, when even a small fragment of this physics is placed beyond the bottom "plane" of the object.
2. The plane mentioned in the first point is changing depending on transformations made in the World Editor. When the object is scaled and rotated, this plane is placed where the most bottom point of the object is.
3. Turning the aligning off moves the object as well, but the distance is different in every case and it depends on objects transformations in the World Editor.

Long story short - it's impossible to turn the aligning off without destroying our work. Our caves are created with a lot of those objects, and every one of them is differently scaled and rotated, so after doing so everything just collapse (each object differently, so it's impossible to just correct it with "Position" option).

We of course still can add physics which are no larger than objects box, that won't do any harm. And we can make physics with invisible walls. But I would love to be able to turn the aligning off without moving the objects. Is such option possible to add to the World Editor?
04-05-2013 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Physics and aligning
Hello,
In 1.0 you can toggle aligning per-object, so you can disable it per object if needed.
Last I tested aligning works ok, if you have a problem with the aligning not working correctly, please attach sample image or sample object+world files.
Thank you
04-07-2013 10:56 AM
Nox_A15 Offline

I think it works correctly, I'm just not sure about one feature, to be honest. I attach a map and screenshots of the same mesh with different physics. All is aligned to the grid and in some screenshots "Align Y to top" is turned on or off (you can see it in the templates in the pictures).

The rest of the pictures is in the package.

Is physics supposed to have higher priority during calculating the objects aligning? With "Align Y to top" it always has. When it is turned off, it has no effect at all (which is a good thing when working without heightmap, I suppose).

We have done a lot of work already and our caves are made of a lot of objects that have "Align Y to top" turned on, but don't have any physics yet. Is there a way, to turn the aligning off without moving the objects? All of them are differently scaled and/or rotated and that's making it even harder. I would be able then to add to them any physics I would like to. That's the main reason why I write this.

Attached File(s)
.zip  Physics and aligning.zip (Size: 765.24 KB / Downloads: 5)
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 06:14 PM by Nox_A15.)
04-07-2013 06:09 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

I've tested your files but everything works correctly as expected.

Yes, physical bodies have priority when doing aligning.
04-20-2013 12:54 PM