About Store Forum Documentation Contact

"Remove" option in Editor 2.0
Rubeus Offline

"Remove" option in Editor 2.0
From what I understand, when an asset is selected and "Remove" is chosen from the context menu, the asset is removed from the list. The removed asset then continues to live in the shadows, taking up hard drive space and bandwidth when copied to/from the server(if in use), and complicating things for demo users. It then plays the part of a ninja, skillfully avoiding detection and deletion by hiding behind a hashed name among the population of still-useful files. The only way to get rid of the Removed File Ninja is to delete the whole project from the server and re-upload a cleaned version.

Given that there is an option for enabling/disabling publishing, can we get the "Remove" to actually delete the file? Or at the very least, send it to an in-project recycle bin that it can be viewed, deleted, or restored from. As it is now seems counter-productive to me, creating a lot of extra steps when using the server. It essentially doesn't provide any data security as it is now, anyways, because how would you find the file to re-add it if it was accidentally removed?
Perhaps I'm wrong, but this is kinduva big issue.
04-27-2013 12:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rofar Offline

RE: "Remove" option in Editor 2.0
The only issue I see with this right now is there is no easy way to delete removed files from the server project. It's not a big deal to periodically wipe out the server project when wanting to get a cleaned up project with all removed files deleted. But there could be cleaner way to do it.

There is no reason to have to find a file to restore a removed item. Just turn on the option to show removed elements and right click it and select restore.
04-27-2013 02:32 AM
Rubeus Offline

(04-27-2013 02:32 AM)Rofar Wrote:  It's not a big deal to periodically wipe out the server project when wanting to get a cleaned up project with all removed files deleted.
So it's not a big deal to wipe 10GB off the server, then upload 8GB over a connection that caps at 150 kb/s? This actually *IS* a big deal, especially if you are on metered bandwidth. If EE is going to be used for a big project, this is a must.

(04-27-2013 02:32 AM)Rofar Wrote:  Just turn on the option to show removed elements
Where is this? I haven't seen this option.
04-29-2013 06:59 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

There is a trash can icon button in the project view on the top of the screen.
04-29-2013 10:01 AM
Rofar Offline

I suppose I should have made my comments a little less ambiguous. I didn't mean to suggest that it shouldn't be a big deal in your case. I was simply stating that in my case, it was not huge problem to have to wipe the server project to get things cleaned up. Every situation is different and with what you described, I can see it is not such a simple thing for you.

It would be nice to have an option when choosing "Delete Removed elements" for a project to also have the server delete the removed elements if connected.
04-29-2013 10:14 PM
Rubeus Offline

The trash can was too obvious. I missed it. -_-

Esenthel, can we get some sort of option for cleaning up the projects on the server? It makes sense to want some kind of data redundancy in case someone removes a file they weren't supposed to, but there -needs- to be some option for fully deleting files from the server without re-uploading the whole project.

I am getting an artist involved with my project, and trying to replace all my crappy programmer art is forcing me to juggle my bandwidth, time, and hard drive space at my co-location.
04-30-2013 12:13 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've added it to the roadmap, but it won't be anytime soon.
04-30-2013 12:48 PM
Rubeus Offline

Better than never! Thank you.
04-30-2013 06:34 PM
RoseClowes Offline

The new version is very nice, has some new features which is quite very different I pretty like this updating because it's better than before.
06-19-2013 07:49 PM