About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Problem with new worlds
Kiekos Offline

Problem with new worlds
Hey there,

I've recently started a project with my friend but we've already stumbled across a problem which won't allow us to proceed with the work. Basically my friend can't open any world I created with the editor.

After creating a new world, I save and build it in the Editor and it works fine on my computer. But when I send it over to my friend, he can't use it either in game or open it with the editor.

Editor detects an unsaved previous session and stops working, while the game reports "_memc.h error in line 14". Same thing happens when he creates a world and sends it to me.

It'd be great if someone was able to help me solve this problem wink

Edit: I'd also like to mention that I've tried pretty much everything I came up with and failed every single time. I tried loading a sample world, renaming, saving it and sending it to my friend to see if it works and it didn't, even though the sample world works fine on his computer. The one renamed by me doesn't.

I know I'm doing something wrong I just don't know what :/ How am I supposed to save a world properly so that the editor doesn't detect the previous session but just opens the actual world?
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013 11:17 PM by Kiekos.)
05-02-2013 04:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kiekos Offline

RE: Problem with new worlds
Okay it turns out the issue is 'partly' solved. I started looking for those 'unsaved session' files and I found 3 txt files in EsenethelEngineSDK/Tools that are modified every time I exit the Editor:

1) Editor.txt
2) Editor.environment.txt
3) Editor Settings.txt

It turns out that whem my friend created a world and sent it over to me along with these 3 files, the Editor asked me whether to resume the previous unsaved session and it didn't crash but opened the actual world.

So it works but not the way I would like it to. There's still something wrong cause I don't think you have to copy these 3 files every single time.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong when saving a world?
(This post was last modified: 05-03-2013 01:21 PM by Kiekos.)
05-03-2013 01:21 PM
Rubeus Offline

Assuming you are using EE 2.0:

Try setting up the editor's server and connecting that way-it's the easiest.

Alternatively, make sure you are copying just your project folder. You can figure out the right folder by looking at the tooltip that pops up over them on the project list screen.
05-03-2013 02:36 PM
Kiekos Offline

Still no solution. Maybe I'll straighten this out. How am I supposed to send someone a world that I created because when I copy the world's folder, my friend can't use it. The editor keeps crashing because of some unsaved session...
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 10:57 PM by Kiekos.)
05-04-2013 10:56 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello! Judging from your post I see that you're using free version of 1.0.
I recommend using 2.0 instead. If you will have problems with that version then I'll try to help.
05-05-2013 12:20 PM
Seba Offline

Did you try remove this session. This file is only need when edytor crash to restore unsaved changes. After you save and build your project you can send it to friend. I try with two different instalation of engine and moving only folder from data/World work. Your friend need to have all resources that you use in tha same place in data folder. You can make one *.pak file from data directory.
05-05-2013 02:03 PM
Kiekos Offline

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate that.

@Esenthel, I don't really want to switch to EE 2.0 cause 1.0 seems to be far easier to use (to me).

@Seba, I know that the editor should restore the previous unsaved session only if it crashes, however it also asks me the same thing even if I build and save the world as well as close the editor properly. It still wants to open previous session on my friends computer when I send him the world.

He has all the same data as me so I don't know where the problem is. Copying whole Data folder does the job, but I don't want to do that every single time.

Could you explain more about the *.pak file?
05-05-2013 03:08 PM
Seba Offline

Pak file only compress data, you can also protect them using password.
On both computers you have tha same version of edytor? You wrote about this session as it show every time you want to load world. You should have options to remove it so the message not shown any more.
05-05-2013 03:28 PM
Kiekos Offline

Yes, we have the same version of the editor. I don't really know where to disable the 'unsaved session restoring' function. Is that even possible?
05-05-2013 03:51 PM
Seba Offline

When you open world in edytor you have that window:
[Image: eerestore.png]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Just click remove and new session. But i try to move world that wasn't save and have this session but for me it works when move to other directory. So I don't know what the problem is.
05-05-2013 05:33 PM
Kiekos Offline

Ah you're talking about that. I know you can remove it and open new session. It doesn't work though.

You won't have this problem because you're moving the world folder on your computer. If you moved it from one computer to another you would have this problem. I'm assuming that the editor saves some files outside the *.world folder and if they're not on the other computer then the editor crashes.
05-05-2013 06:41 PM
Seba Offline

I check it on other computer and map don't work, so I don't know what the problem is. You can try compressed pak, to move data to other computer. Or try server to synchronize data. I don't use it but i think it's possible.
05-05-2013 07:14 PM
Kiekos Offline

We managed to solve the problem by synchronizing World, Obj, and Mtrl folders after every world changes. Decent solution so thanks for help.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 07:42 PM by Kiekos.)
05-05-2013 07:42 PM