About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel is climbing the ranks
Ozmodian Offline

Esenthel is climbing the ranks
Look what I stumbled across today. Notice it is the only one in the top ten trending up that is commercial!! This site does look pretty up to date too as the time stamps are all current.

Great work as always Esenthel. I do hope more people discover what a great product you have created.

http://www.moddb.com/engines/top

[Image: 9uavk9.png]
05-11-2013 12:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shatterstar Offline

RE: Esenthel is climbing the ranks
this site is a very good site..but i disagree with comparing these engines to each other. CryEngine3 shouldnt be in the list because it takes around 1 million U.S. Dollars to get a licence for it. Source, I've heard is around 10,000 dollars to licence. These two engines shouldnt even be in the list. neither Cry nor source are indie engines. And a few of these engines are so horrible, why are they even in the list? I can think of a way better top 10 indie game engine than this. I would bet money on the the fact that whoever came up with this list, hasn't even tried half of these game engines...lol.

And why is RedKit in this list...that is the Red game engine created for witcher3 and other games that Projekt Red is publishing. This game engine is an In-House game engine and isn't being advertised to get a license for. And even if you wanted to talk them into it...you better have a million dollars on hand. I'm glad you showed me this...but what a stupid list.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 01:33 AM by Shatterstar.)
05-11-2013 01:22 AM
Ozmodian Offline

Hi Shatt,

I am not sure your prices are right there. Don't get me wrong, i am not trying to say any of them are worth it, but I know for sure that CE3 is no where near $1mil (in fact you are free to use it through publishing until you start charging people).

Regardless, I also thing that it is totally fair to compare these engines. Even side by side, I would pick Esenthel over all of those for indie.
05-11-2013 02:18 AM
Scarlet Thread Offline

(05-11-2013 02:18 AM)Ozmodian Wrote:  I am not sure your prices are right there. Don't get me wrong, i am not trying to say any of them are worth it, but I know for sure that CE3 is no where near $1mil (in fact you are free to use it through publishing until you start charging people).

The "Free" side of CE3 is to get people hooked in to pay big bucks later on if they ever manage to make anything with it.

Unfortunately this ranking list changes constantly. If you look right now Esenthel is at rank 60...
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 04:18 AM by Scarlet Thread.)
05-11-2013 04:16 AM
Ozmodian Offline

Ohh wow. That is crazy. Sorry, I did not realize it was so volatile, what a crappy list. Well, it was cool to see it at the top. It is 24 now so who knows how they rate things.
05-11-2013 06:35 AM
Tottel Offline

Yeah, I wouldn't trust those lists that much. pfft

ModDB is a great site, though.
05-11-2013 09:06 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Appears to be based on the number of hits the engine page has on their site per day! Just a bit of fun.

The only useful thing about these lists are the engine names themselves, sometimes they reveal engines I was unaware of which allows me to check them out (and usually quickly discard lol).
05-11-2013 09:26 AM
Rubeus Offline

Keep in mind that even if the engine is not available to the public, it can still make the list if it has modding tools. I don't think anyone on that site expects people to license most of those engines, but rather use the level editor and such.
05-11-2013 01:37 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Good point!
05-11-2013 02:44 PM
Shatterstar Offline

I like the number of hits on page idea...i wasnt aware of their ranking system. I wish they would make a list of game engines that are for indie game companies, and that are for indie devs only. Then make another list for engines that are considered for large company developments. What I'm trying to say is...i wish they would make two seperate list.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 04:24 PM by Shatterstar.)
05-11-2013 04:20 PM
Dalmat Offline

Shatterstar, i agree with your first post, but this list shows us generally where esenthel stays with a significant group of users, no matter of the unfair competition. Sorry about gramar :-)
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2013 02:20 AM by Dalmat.)
05-11-2013 09:54 PM
flim Offline

That list is useless.
05-12-2013 04:16 PM
nomax5 Offline

Without trying to sound too creepy or brown nosy, Esenthel is No1 for me and I have played around with many on that list. I think if you get 1 successful game made with the Esenthel engine is will shoot up somewhere near the top. certainly top of the indie engines.

I liken Unity to the "gold rush" the people who made the most money in the gold rush sold shovels and tents, pots and pans, all the things you need to find gold. Unity is the same the only people who are making money are the people selling assets and tools. and of course Unity at $1,500 a pop.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2013 06:40 PM by nomax5.)
05-22-2013 06:37 PM
Shatterstar Offline

I like Unity, but I choose Esenthel...mainly because its going to do the same for me with a cheaper price tag. As far as impressive, Esenthel is more impressive because it was developed by only one man. The only thing that I like better than Esenthel is that they have an asset store. If the Esenthel guy would ever do that, this engine, I believe, would very much grow in popularity. I bet that I will have my models for sale over at Unity, and may never be able to have them sold here. What a shame, because the more money that I make, gives more possibility that I would turn around and give that money as donations to the development of the game engine. WHY CANT WE HAVE AN ASSET STORE!!! LOL.
05-23-2013 12:43 AM
Rubeus Offline

Why not make one as an affiliate? Esenthel is making a game engine, and has a HUGE workload. Just look at the 'feature requests' and road map.
But no one said an asset store would have to be made by him. If someone is good with web programming languages, I don't think Esenthel would have a problem with letting them become an affiliate. And in that case, it can be non-Esenthel specific while still being geared towards it, opening it up to more clientele(other game engines), and getting the word out to those engine users that Esenthel is here.
Heck, I'd do it myself for the extra cash-if web programming didn't give me acid reflux and a hernia.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2013 01:32 PM by Rubeus.)
05-23-2013 01:30 PM