About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Scale in 3dsMax
slackjawx Offline

Scale in 3dsMax
Is anyone else using 3dsMax for their models? If so what's the scale you are setting for your objects? My Units were set for 1 unit = 0.01 (meters, inches, cm) I tried everything and my models are either huge, or super huge.

Does anyone have a model scale they use in max also?
05-17-2013 04:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ecco Offline

RE: Scale in 3dsMax
..im using 3dsmax, and I always set my 3dsmax units for everything 1 unit=1 meter
05-17-2013 04:58 AM
Scarlet Thread Offline

Use 1 unit = 1 m

Theoretically speaking in computer graphics measurement lengths are arbitrary and relative. There is only one measurement in 3D graphics of distance and that is... well units :|. Software such as 3DsMax simply places that over the top but really all it's doing is adjusting the numbers that you see in the software
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2013 07:22 AM by Scarlet Thread.)
05-17-2013 07:21 AM
Dwight Offline

Also note that size is relative. If you create a house of 10 cm high, and the player is just 2 cm, your customer will not see a difference with a house 10m high and a player of 2m.

I'm in the process of extending my toolset I created for Esenthel btw, maybe something to look forward too since people also use 3D Studio Max here grin
05-17-2013 09:42 AM
Seba Offline

Don't know if you know about it but you can rescale height of your model in edytor 2.0 as you want, in 1.0 to one and when inserting into map set what scale you need.
05-17-2013 09:57 AM
slackjawx Offline

thanks for the help! I will set my units and rescale things. The size does matter as far as esenthel is concerned because when I import one of my buildings it's enormous and it doesn't even show in the object window until I zoom waaaaay out. I was trying to get a sizer around the size of the Human character.
05-18-2013 04:22 AM
Patalarc Offline

In 3d max put "display unit scale" in "metric-> meters", then "System Setup Unit System -> Unit Scale" put: "1 Unit = 1.0 Meters". and remember to activate: "Respect System Units in Files"

This does not mean that an older model acquires automatically the new scale. To see if it is about the size you want you can create a box next to the model (size: 1m x 1m x 1m), so you will notice if your model is very large and you have to reduce its size.

(You can also rescale, importing with the option "rescale the file objects to the System Unit Scale" and check if you have the right size, but sometimes this does not ensure that the size remains correct)

If that does not work, you can import it into the editor Esenthel (I assume you are using the 2.0), then "Object -> Transform", click on "Rescale Height to 1" and then "OK"

This does not matter the size of your model. It will be of a height of 1 meter. then you can scale it to the size you want in "Scale" for example "Scale 1.8" to human size (and press "OK" again).
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2013 10:44 AM by Patalarc.)
05-18-2013 10:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

http://www.esenthel.com/wiki/index.php?title=Units
Esenthel uses 1 unit = 1 meter in the engine by default.

If you export a model through FBX with correct settings (specify its unit/scale in 3ds max properties) then you can choose whatever you want unit (to meter or centimeter or whatever).
Esenthel when importing it, will check its unit scale (from the FBX file), and automatically resize to 1unit=1meter system used in Esenthel.
05-18-2013 12:45 PM