About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Using VS c++ instead of esenthel editor?
rsutton84 Offline

Using VS c++ instead of esenthel editor?
I want to use visual studio c++ to make my files, is this possible to import the project in there ? Or do we have to use the esenthel editor ?

Also. Another question...

When using the engine code editor do I use which style of coding ? the SDK style ? the code editor style ? ( dont know the difference )
or c++

It is very confusing on the coding styles to use where and how.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 12:42 PM by rsutton84.)
05-24-2013 05:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scarlet Thread Offline

RE: Using VS c++ instead of esenthel editor?
You can use either.. though I would personally recommend the EE editor all the way. At first when I started with the engine I wanted to just use VSC++ without the EE code editor... However, I just ended up using the EE editor because it is just so much easier to manage. I only export to VSC++ when I want to do some detailed debugging.

Not sure what you mean by VSC++ is more efficient at linking etc... because the EE code editor is actually using the VSC++ compiler to compile your code anyway so your final output whether you build in VSC++ or in EE code editor should be exactly the same.. The problem with using just VC++ is it is more difficult to make multiplatform and you also don't have as good interactivity with your assets. Also export from EE code editor -> VSC++ for debugging is possible in fact just one click.. buy you can't go from VSC++ back to editor...

Not sure what you mean by style of coding. The code editor is basically C++ with a few extra's that make your code automatically multi-platform. Code the same way you would with any C++ in the code editor and you won't go wrong... There are only minor minor differences :|
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 06:42 AM by Scarlet Thread.)
05-24-2013 06:38 AM
rsutton84 Offline

well I was reading the wiki and it was saying like this....

C++
using Esenthel Engine SDK
Esenthel Script
using Code Editor
A.h A.es
struct A
{
Int member_a;

void methodA(B &b);

A() {member_a=0;}
};
class A
{
int member_a=0;

void methodA(B &b)
{
member_a+=b.member_b;
}
}

Also like all the bool names change when coding in the EE if I am correct its like there is 3 different types of bool..... bool,Bool and such... what is going on here? its weird in the wiki .
05-24-2013 07:17 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(05-24-2013 06:38 AM)Scarlet Thread Wrote:  You can use either.. though I would personally recommend the EE editor all the way. At first when I started with the engine I wanted to just use VSC++ without the EE code editor... However, I just ended up using the EE editor because it is just so much easier to manage. I only export to VSC++ when I want to do some detailed debugging.
My experience exactly. Once you get familiar with the EE code editor it's a much faster way of coding with simplified structure which just get translated to standard structured C++ code in the background. I'd recommend trying it for a while, it really doesn't take long to get used to it.

Plus, no header files to construct (that's all done for you) and as Scarlet also pointed out multi-platform support.

Just look at some of the examples and compare the VSC++ code generated by switching to VS using F8.
05-24-2013 08:53 AM
rsutton84 Offline

alright thanks guys for the info ! Definatly told me what I needed to know, ill give it a shot smile thx again.
05-24-2013 08:59 AM
laugan Offline

Interesting, but if i want to use external headers (for Oracle DB connection, for example), as i understand they will not work with Esenthel Code Editor?
05-24-2013 10:24 AM
gwald Offline

It should, look in the app properties you can put your headers/libs there.
I'm not sure if it works, haven't tried it... it should tho smile

My Blog
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showthread.php?tid=6043

I hang out at Esenthel IRC Channel
http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=#Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2013 10:37 AM by gwald.)
05-24-2013 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Scarlet Thread Offline

(05-24-2013 10:24 AM)laugan Wrote:  Interesting, but if i want to use external headers (for Oracle DB connection, for example), as i understand they will not work with Esenthel Code Editor?

Yup you can include your own headers. I include STL in this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9nhdVRnQU
05-24-2013 10:41 AM
laugan Offline

(05-24-2013 10:41 AM)Scarlet Thread Wrote:  Yup you can include your own headers. I include STL in this video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca9nhdVRnQU

wow thanks! I'll try smile
05-24-2013 10:45 AM