About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Map manipulation
AndrewBGS Offline

Map manipulation
I think I mentioned this in a post once but I didn't get a reply so I'm making a new thread:

Can't I somehow manipulate the map generated by EE? Can't I gain access to it in form of a big jpg/bmp or something? I need to edit that map, and maybe print it if I like it. Anyway, I should have access to my own map as an image. Can't I do that?
06-22-2013 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Map manipulation
Game.MiniMap allows you to access mini map and its Images, you can then export them to some other place.

But this is not recommended, instead I recommend that you add extra graphics by drawing them real-time on top of the map during the game.
06-23-2013 04:31 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

I'm not sure I understand your suggestion.

Let's see I want to give my map an ancient aspect, like convert it to sepia and apply some effect such as edge enhancements and things like that; can't I achieve that by working on the image outside the editor and then importing it back? Otherwise, how could I do this?
06-23-2013 07:10 PM
Rubeus Offline

Andrew, you could do it that way. I personally think, though, that it would be a cooler effect to hand draw something and scan it in if you are going for the old, worn map look.
Otherwise, did you try something like Game.World.mini_map._map.get(Vec2ofDesiredAreaMap).ExportPNG("file"); ?
06-23-2013 10:11 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

No, i did not try that, but I will.
So if I draw it by hand and import it, how can I import it as map, and not as simple image? How will I be able to know the scale and all those map specific attributes?
06-23-2013 10:57 PM
Rubeus Offline

Well, for the map info, just do the math. Len(PosA - PosB) = distance, then you can use the EE angle functions to get the right angle. Translate the length to the units you use in your map, and you're golden.

Or it might be easier to make a bunch of drawings(including a sepia-toned image with alpha to give the effect you want) and just draw them over the in-game map. This would probably be easier.

This is all speculation, though, as my game does not need/use a map, so I haven't played with it.
06-23-2013 11:19 PM