About Store Forum Documentation Contact

"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
Rubeus Offline

RE: "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"
That sounds to me a lot like a hardware issue.
08-02-2013 08:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevindekever Offline

sounds now like driver issue and endless loop (timeout)... look at this:

1. http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/225...-z-v0-7-2/
for temperature details
[Image: gpu-z-sensors.png]

2. memtest for graphics memory
http://www.technibble.com/repair-tool-of...ress-test/

3. http://mikemstech.blogspot.de/2011/12/tr...error.html
perhaps disable TDR works or getting more details
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 02:09 PM by kevindekever.)
08-03-2013 01:51 PM
Rubeus Offline

Kevin, disabling TDR may get rid of the annoying resets, but it comes at a high price; when the driver is reset like that, it means something to do with the GPU was hung. It may have fixed itself in a short time, but it may force him to have to hard reset his computer to get his screen to respond again.
08-03-2013 05:25 PM
kevindekever Offline

(08-03-2013 05:25 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  Kevin, disabling TDR may get rid of the annoying resets, but it comes at a high price; when the driver is reset like that, it means something to do with the GPU was hung. It may have fixed itself in a short time, but it may force him to have to hard reset his computer to get his screen to respond again.

yeah i read the full text of my link grin only for unsupported drivererrors but he schould use the debug for investigate (1 - Bug Check on Timeout)
Disable only for a short time to test, if it ends in freeze
Or increasing the Timeout time like microsoft would do --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946
But there are fixes for fullscreen mode too --> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2400157
We need more info to help. ^^ Any new installed programs with new drivers like daemontools?

--> BUGCHECK_STR: 0x117 is the same like BSOD(Blue Screen of Death) 117 (just google)
because of TDR it reset instaed of freezing
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 06:14 PM by kevindekever.)
08-03-2013 05:41 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

Sorry for not responding for so long. I have a good news - it seems I've found the solution. smile And... yes, it was the map. I still don't know what cause the same error in Guild Wars 2 (I haven't played it for some time though).

Thank you for all tips and advices. I've done memory tests of my video card (or rather - both of my memories, because the X2 model has two GPUs and memory divided into two parts) and here are the results:

My first GPU temperature is pretty high, but I remember it was always like this - around 80 degrees Celsius in idle mode. The second one is around 60. They don't change much when playing games (not more than +9 degrees each).

Long story short - the computer is perfectly fine (and thanks to you I'm now sure about it, so thank you smile). Problem is probably a mix of Esenthel/Guild Wars 2 technology and AMD's drivers. And something we did wrong along the way probably.

What caused the driver to crash exactly? A volumetric cone light based on a template of a point light. I'm not sure, maybe it was something corrupted in the map data, maybe something in light parameters. But after deleting it I created a lot of correctly defined lights around the map and worked for some time without problems. I attach below a package with the area with that light (-2,-3) and a screenshot to help you find it (I added only templates of the lights, without other objects). I hope you will find this useful somehow.

.zip  corrupted_light.zip (Size: 243.58 KB / Downloads: 1)
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2013 06:37 PM by Nox_A15.)
08-11-2013 06:33 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

I just changed the topic from [Solved] to normal, because I encountered the bug two times lately and there wasn't this light around this time. So I think there's only one way to solve this - Esenthel need to check this light and check if there's something, that could crash a driver. That probably won't be an easy task, but I can provide you with further information.

Conclusion from last post is still valid. There's just more ways to cause this bug in World Editor. Edit: Probably not true after all. In the next post I write about it - it looks like bug still originates in the same area like before.

For now I think the second one is to create the object with a lot of parts (more than 90, for example) and use it many times around the map. It won't be in the final game, that was just the test, but it may be the reason why I encountered this bug in two different locations lately.
(This post was last modified: 09-10-2013 05:56 PM by Nox_A15.)
08-26-2013 01:42 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

So I encountered the bug recently a few times and it looks like the problem still originates in (-2,-3) after all. Esenthel, please check if there is something suspicious in the file I attached on 11th August. I'm not able to fully understand the problem without your help. Without this one area the map works perfectly fine but deleting it and making from the beginning would be a painful waste of time.
09-10-2013 05:49 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

Bumping this topic. Esenthel, can you help me with this one please? I would gladly run some version of the editor, which would tell you, what causes the crash of my video driver. You know, last used function or something like that. How am I supposed to fix this issue without your help?
10-11-2013 10:55 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, Sorry but I don't think that this is engine related.
10-12-2013 06:25 AM
Nox_A15 Offline

1. The bug is related to my configuration AND Esenthel Engine. Which means there exists a reason why it happens exactly in this application and we can find it and eliminate it. Maybe it will help others with AMD cards in the future.

2. I've deleted and redone the area that I thought caused the bug. Unfortunately it showed up again after some time. Now I'm curious if it can be a memory or video memory issue. It's so random that it could be. If the engine is creating and deleting threads all the time (which is described here - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=7024 ), which is overkill anyway, I think everything is possible.

3. I attached in this topic the area that spawns this bug very often. If there really is some valuable information in this file, you are the only person who can check it out Esenthel.

4. Recently, when the bug showed up again, I just changed the visibility of the map from 1 area to 4 areas and it stopped to crash and return back. I was able to work normally in this place of the map after that. So I think it may be related to streaming areas.

5. This may be an issue which would need AMD's drivers programmers assistance to fix. You are making a game engine. Maybe they would be willing to help?

I'm not planning to change my machine pretty soon (I just don't have money for that now). That's my main problem. So I think it's a good opportunity to find out what is causing this crash and just patch it up. I know it's hard to put work into fixing bug which just one person is experiencing, but it would be much appreciated. First of all I would love to know if there's something inside that file, which could cause some strange editor's behaviour.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2013 08:03 PM by Nox_A15.)
10-16-2013 07:59 PM