About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Custom Characters
docrst Offline

Custom Characters
So I created a Custom Characters in 3DS max and it has the bones correct but when I import it looks awesome but wont move and it just stands in the T shape pose,I compared it to the Human and all the settings are correct but the ragdoll, the points are there but it wont let me move them around.
09-05-2013 11:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shadow Offline

RE: Custom Characters
Try setting the correct animations for the game object (in the object parameter editor)
09-06-2013 07:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
docrst Offline

I set every thing just the same as the Human.
09-06-2013 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gdalex Offline

You have set your own skeleton, but have you animated it ?
You have to use your own animation cycles, not the esenthel ones
09-09-2013 08:18 AM
docrst Offline

do you have a reference I can read on how
09-09-2013 08:04 PM
compulsive compiler Offline

This is what i do for human models.
I load my meshes apply materials and save mesh.
Set view mode to orthographic.

I then load up a skel file and go back to mesh resizing and moving it towards the skel.

I preview the position of mesh to skel by going to skeleton editor page and if the mesh is not in position or correct size ,
I go back to mesh and move and size again and switch back to skel page but reload the skel to see if the mesh is in position .. I never tried to just move the skel dont know if it would work but anyway ..
After i get the model to match up with the skel i save mesh again ..
I then fine tune the bones and save the skel as my caracters skel file..
Then i apply automatic skinning and open up the animation tab ,
Load the run animation and forward it a while into the animation ..

Now you will see all vertices that werent correctly skinned to bones will be out of position , i select the bone to which the vertex is suppose to belong to , switch to skel mode and press tab to enter vertex skinning mode..
I then mark all the vertices that werent included in the skinning (green) with mouse right button untill theire red or how much u need them
To be , ctrl and left button will do the oppisite .
Back to anim page and look at results ..
I follow this skinning until everything works correct and then save the model and skel file .
Sounds like alot but i get my models to work with
Esenthel skeleton and animations .
09-20-2013 11:53 AM
gdalex Offline

Yet this is only possible in EE 1.0 :/
What version of the editor are you using, Docrst ?
09-20-2013 12:39 PM
docrst Offline

2.x
09-20-2013 12:53 PM
gdalex Offline

You have to animate your skeleton in your 3D app, and then drag and drop the new exported .fbx file on the model editor of esenthel. It will be proposed several options, among them : "add animation cycle".
And you'll have a preview of your animation into esenthel
09-20-2013 02:22 PM
compulsive compiler Offline

Yes okay what i said was manualy fitting
A model to esenthel skel and animations..
I have never tried importing animations
from fbx , hope you solve your problem.
09-20-2013 03:57 PM
docrst Offline

I did, I use DAZ its relay cheap to use but the ani is the only part not working, the modle looks awsome in the game but it at a T stand and stiff moving.. http://www.daz3d.com/
09-21-2013 04:38 AM
scotty1121 Offline

(09-21-2013 04:38 AM)docrst Wrote:  I did, I use DAZ its relay cheap to use but the ani is the only part not working, the modle looks awsome in the game but it at a T stand and stiff moving.. http://www.daz3d.com/

Esenthel is really picky about animations. The bones all have to be properly weighted, to be honest I don't think Daz is up to the task, you will have to use blender or 3DS MAX to truly see if your bones are influencing the mesh properly.

I say this because when I was importing my animations from a previous model i had made, they would look fine in the editor, but while we created our client the animations would stretch. It turned out they weren't correctly weighted so I re-weighted my bones to the mesh and tada worked. Remember to export as 2011 FBX. Rest of them are pretty glitchy.
(This post was last modified: 10-28-2013 12:26 PM by scotty1121.)
10-28-2013 12:20 PM
docrst Offline

oooo, 2011 FBX, I have Blender and Max 2012 but export as default FBX, Thank you!
I will try it and post back....
10-29-2013 04:31 AM