About Store Forum Documentation Contact

terrain deforming, caves and some other events
kev1807 Offline

terrain deforming, caves and some other events
hello everyone,

at the moment I'm struggling with some things in the world editor:

1)tunnels caves and help with it

I defintely need well let's say a city of tunnels with big halls (caves). I basically don't want to make them in blender or so, as I don't like it. Other game engines I tried so far give the possibility to build caves and tunnels.

As Esenthel map-editor is voxel based ( I think I read it) this should be possible, maybe through code? (bad, I cannot effort 150 for a hobby so far, so I don't have source code and I doubt that I have the programming skills :-D)

so may one answer the question, whether this is possible or not?

2) deforming world in runtime

I want to make a game similar to Populous III - The Beginning (someone remembering?) with some spells deforming terrain (build bridges, volcanos etc.) the volcano can be done with objects and particles but maybe a terrain deforming would be better when it comes to performance. On the other hand making a simple mountain should not be too hard as well as adding some particle and "red water" to it (with parameters to damage the player)

again I hope someone is able to answer this question

best wishes,

Kevin
09-16-2013 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pherael Offline

RE: terrain deforming, caves and some other events
1) This is currently not possible, since terrain has only one layer and terrain vertex can be modified in Y axis only. But you alway can make your own cave mesh (in code), but it will be hard, still is possible.

2) Yes, there is actual tutorial how to do that (13-Mesh/Heightmap).

//sorry for my english, I drunk few beers
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013 07:45 PM by Pherael.)
09-16-2013 07:44 PM
kev1807 Offline

good evening Pherael,

thank you for your quick answer!

1) sad... I don't think, my programming skills are good enough... (maybe with L3DT or similar voxel editors ...)

2) great I missed that one...

so far I'm still looking for the perfect engine, playing around with several (C4, neoaxis, esenthel), figuring out, how to achieve my goals ...
every engine has advantages,
but for esenthel is to say:
quite fast help in the forum,
not a very high price (still much for me, but the demo will work I think)

The UI of esenthel is sometimes a little bit .... confusing ... and I still need to figure out, where everything is, but the tutorials are very nice and the wiki also helps...

Quote:sorry for my english, I drunk few beers

:-D damn I'd love to drink a beer, but learning with booze did not proof to be effective in the past and I perfectly want to achieve my goal

best wishes,

Kevin
09-16-2013 08:54 PM
Tottel Offline

1. There aren't many engines that allow you to do this. smile Most games are actually using models for caves.
09-16-2013 09:16 PM
Rubeus Offline

(09-16-2013 07:07 PM)kev1807 Wrote:  As Esenthel map-editor is voxel based ( I think I read it) this should be possible, maybe through code?

Esenthel is not voxel-based---at least, not yet. Voxel terrain is on the roadmap.
09-17-2013 06:03 AM
kev1807 Offline

(09-17-2013 06:03 AM)Rubeus Wrote:  
(09-16-2013 07:07 PM)kev1807 Wrote:  As Esenthel map-editor is voxel based ( I think I read it) this should be possible, maybe through code?

Esenthel is not voxel-based---at least, not yet. Voxel terrain is on the roadmap.

really? damn okay, than it's very logical that it is not possible.
I guess I read the roadmap and mixed it up with some other things ... currently I'm reading a lot concerning esenthel andother engines, but I think it's very likely to stick with esenthel(damn good over all performance of esenthel, which I think needs to be mentioned: good price, nice "support" here in the forum and it's seems very mighty

thanks for your help to everyone :-)

I hope, someday I'll be able to give some help back to the community, for now I'm just consuming it ...

best wishes,

Kevin
09-17-2013 08:23 AM