About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Project files
Rubeus Offline

Project files
I had a catastrophic hard drive failure. :(
About 1/2 of the hard drive is completely unreadable. Fortunately, I keep backups of my EE project. Unfortunately, I had about 3 hours of un-replicated work when the crash happened(*rand about crappy Apple products*).
Esenthel, is there some way to tell which of the project files contain code(or at least, which folder)? My art assets have not changed so I don't need to re-copy them, and I get read errors when I try to copy whole folders. I'm hoping I can just grab at least a couple single code files and overwrite the ones in my slightly outdated project.

It's not a huge deal, but it would be convenient.
10-05-2013 12:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Project files
Hi,
You'll be able to set/get source codes programmatically in next release, within a couple days.
10-05-2013 03:09 AM
para Offline

While that update seems nice, I'd still recommend total commander (free) as it's a very handy tool.
TC - Navigate to project folder -> commands -> search -> find text -> "return" or "flt" -> F3 on the results to see and grab the ones you are interested with.
10-05-2013 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

The thing is, I can't *read* most of the files. My hard drive is pretty much borked and can only read about 2/3 of its sectors. I'm hoping to focus my recovery efforts on a few small files instead of a bunch of config or art files.

I started CHKDSK about 30 hours ago-it's 8% in with a few thousand "File record segment XXXXX is unreadable." errors already. I'm hoping some of the changes I made are still in the readable sections.

I don't need to be able to OPEN the EE files at this juncture; I just need to know approximately where to look for the files containing code so I know where to try to recover files.
10-05-2013 01:32 PM
para Offline

Do what I said on your backed up project to find the file names of the sources you want, then attempt to copy those files from your crashed drive.
10-05-2013 07:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

Well, it's a moot point now... I was hoping Chkdsk would make the drive easier to read, but it somhow killed the partition and made it entirely unreadable. T_T
10-06-2013 03:37 AM
compulsive compiler Offline

Externall 1tb best money i ever spend , so i have always 2 backups being made daily after any changes

Yikes that must be a sad one
10-06-2013 01:05 PM
Rubeus Offline

Yeah, I have my server on a system with RAID1, I back up to an external every week, and copy to a USB drive at the same time, which I keep in my car(in case of a fire or some such). I just didn't upload the changes from my laptop to my server is all.
10-07-2013 12:45 AM
compulsive compiler Offline

when ever something could go wrong
it usualy will thats life for you hey
i dont know what i would do if i lose
some 3 hours of work , sometimes
when i get aggrevated i destroy it myself
but end up doing it better when i calmed.
10-07-2013 08:55 AM