About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Considering a licence
Ireheart Offline

Considering a licence
First off i have been following this engine for about a year now, i have used various engines such as unity (not a big fan) torque 3d, neoaxis and c4 engine. I am most likely going to get a licence but i do have some concerns. Sorry if this is the wrong place, but i did not see a "engine\buyers question section"

I have some questions in regards to esenthel. I am happy with it's current functionality however i see that awkward division between both version 1 and 2 in that people have to rebuy version 2 even if they have version 1? Is there no discount? What happens on the roadmap when theres another baseline (version 3?)

Also the roadmap for certain features relies on funding? Is that from overall purchases of the engine or individual funding?

In-regards to the licencing terms, if i were to install the game engine on multiple computers for my own use (Laptop\computer) and have the application open\connected at the same time would that work\be fine? or would i have to buy a licence for each computer? or is it just per user as stated?

I have been off-put from other engines in regards to lack off tutorials\documentation. There does seem to be some documentation for this engine but not too much and examples of demo\example games like the neoaxis engine are practically non-existent as you enforce the purchase of source code for demo\example games you have made.

This, i am somewhat puzzled by, surely you want to attract beginners\designers and visionary's by showing them what they can do and providing visual representation in the engine to show it?
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 03:22 PM by Ireheart.)
10-30-2013 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Considering a licence
Some of your questions can clearly only be answered by the developer so I'll ignore those for now:

(10-30-2013 03:19 PM)Ireheart Wrote:  Also the roadmap for certain features relies on funding? Is that from overall purchases of the engine or individual funding?
Non of the roadmap items from my understanding rely on funding. The funding option just allows people a mechanism to move those items forwards on the development plan. The designer has stated that its his intention to eventually develop all items on the road map.

(10-30-2013 03:19 PM)Ireheart Wrote:  In-regards to the licencing terms, if i were to install the game engine on multiple computers for my own use (Laptop\computer) and have the application open\connected at the same time would that work\be fine? or would i have to buy a licence for each computer? or is it just per user as stated?
My understanding is that you need separate licences to run multiple installations concurrently.

(10-30-2013 03:19 PM)Ireheart Wrote:  I have been off-put from other engines in regards to lack off tutorials\documentation. There does seem to be some documentation for this engine but not too much and examples of demo\example games like the neoaxis engine are practically non-existent as you enforce the purchase of source code for demo\example games you have made.
The API itself is documented adequately in the header files, as this is very much a programmers engine its pretty much assumed you'll use these as your main source of information with the forum acting as backup where additional information/explanation is required.

In terms of examples, I think Esenthel provides a really comprehensive set of tutorial based code. On top of this there is the free source code for a fully working FPS game: Bloody Massacre.

Considering the cost of the engine, given its capability I don't think its unreasonable to pay for the remaining game source code examples, they are generally pretty inexpensive and you are unlikely to want to buy them all but rather the one that closest approximates your game aspirations.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2013 04:16 PM by Pixel Perfect.)
10-30-2013 04:14 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:In-regards to the licencing terms, if i were to install the game engine on multiple computers for my own use (Laptop\computer) and have the application open\connected at the same time would that work\be fine? or would i have to buy a licence for each computer? or is it just per user as stated?
For concurrent use you need to get multiple licenses, but if you want to use only one computer at a time, then you can work with just one license no problem. (Editor will ask you to change the computer ID in the Esenthel Store, which you can do very easily, takes about 10 seconds to do it)

Quote:I have been off-put from other engines in regards to lack off tutorials\documentation.
I'm offering super clean headers, plus over 100 tuturials included in the Engine download smile

Quote:I am happy with it's current functionality however i see that awkward division between both version 1 and 2 in that people have to rebuy version 2 even if they have version 1? Is there no discount?
Yes, if someone contacts me I can offer a discount.
Making newer versions every once in a while of products is a natural step in 99% software out there, Microsoft Windows, Mac OS, Autodesk 3ds max, Maya, Adobe Photoshop, plenty of game engines etc.
Without the income I wouldn't be able to work on the engine smile

Quote:Also the roadmap for certain features relies on funding? Is that from overall purchases of the engine or individual funding?
That's simply priority of development, all items are planned to be developed, contributions just make it happen faster
You can read more about it here - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=6044
10-30-2013 10:19 PM
Ireheart Offline

Thank you PixelPerfect and Esenthel for your replies. I am very happy to see you regularly update this engine, document any updates and take on-board user idea's\concepts so you have convinced me to get a licence for me and a colleague who will be working on some projects with your engine. smile
10-31-2013 02:14 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thanks, looking forward to seeing the projects that you will make smile
10-31-2013 09:49 PM