About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Collaborative mode functionality questions
AndrewBGS Offline

Collaborative mode functionality questions
I think it's been about half an year since I bought the engine, and only now I found a friend to really help me with my work. So now that I have someone to work with, I'd like to understand the way the collaborative mode works a little better. Here are my questions:

1) How does the merging of world editing works?
- Are changes to objects/world timestamped and upon connecting the newest modification is applied?
- Or maybe is there a specific order, like first the cahnges on sever are applied and then the changes from the client(s)?
Please clear this for me, I\m working with a friend that has little experience and I want to know how this works so I can take some safety measures.

2) Is there any way to manually chose what changes to apply?

3) to clarify, there is still no way to delete resources from the project on server without deleting the whole project?

4) Last of all, how does the code merging work? That "Synchronise codes", what does it actually do?
11-13-2013 10:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Collaborative mode functionality questions
Hi,

1) At the moment of making a change to anything, its timestamp gets updated
Both Esenthel Editor and Server will always take the version with newer timestamp

2) No, sorry

3) You can do remove, but not completely erase. That's on the roadmap and will be done in the future

4) It merges all changes together from all clients in an intelligent way similar to how SVN normally works. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merge_(revi...-way_merge
Alternatively you can export sources using build/export/svn commands, merge using SVN tools, and then import them back
11-13-2013 11:18 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Thanks, that helps!
That remove feature would be quite useful though, almost as useful as an undo. But I get you have other priorities now.

Anyway, thanks for explaining, now I can work with my "team" better.
11-13-2013 11:27 PM
Biga Offline

Hi, any future possibility for running the cooperation server on Linux?
As many development teams using Linux servers... would be a good option to run the Esenthel server contunously on a dedicated server.
05-07-2014 10:45 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, that's on the roadmap, but it will take some time before I get to it.
05-07-2014 09:22 PM