Custom mouse cursor
Application icon
Creating file shortcuts
Embedding pak files into exe's

Next:

Creating fonts
Changing resolutions and Fullscreen support
Compile the EE 2.0 Editor
Auto-compilation of Linux Projects (Code Editor)
Testing if everything works ok
12-14-2013 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

RE: ...and Linux!
Can't wait for this. Keep up the good work grin

My Blog is at http://mrstralberg.blogspot.se.
Chat account Skype (rstralberg)
12-14-2013 03:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

(12-14-2013 03:04 PM)rstralberg Wrote:  Can't wait for this. Keep up the good work grin

it's very interesting
one more platform to the engine awesome
smile
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2013 03:24 PM by candam.)
12-14-2013 03:23 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Editor 2.0 now works, the only thing left to do is make Code Editor compilation (make/netbeans support) and do some final testing.

Attached File(s) Image(s)

12-17-2013 09:56 AM
candam Offline

Cool Picture Greg can you tell us is the speed going alright with ubuntu ?
12-17-2013 10:26 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I haven't done any test for that, but it looks similar for now.
12-17-2013 10:37 AM
candam Offline

(12-17-2013 10:37 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  I haven't done any test for that, but it looks similar for now.

Thank you for quick response

yesterday there was a problem with the website I have it's solved right now

smile I wish I could've called you but I do not have your phone number smile
12-17-2013 10:57 AM
yvanvds Offline

Really great!

I've already installed ubuntu in anticipation :-)
12-18-2013 01:25 AM
TheElk Offline

Greg what version of Ubuntu did you install

Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
or
Ubuntu 13.10

desktop or developer

Thank you
TheElk
12-18-2013 01:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

Yup I wish you provide us with the name of it or the link
12-18-2013 02:07 PM
gwald Offline

Wow, very exciting!
Can't wait!
Guys, it doesn't really mater what version of Linux.
I use Mint, still using 14, 16 is out now.
It's not like Windows, Linux distros get rolled out very frequently, at least once a 2-4 times a year.
Looks like Esenthel might be targeting the gnome desktop (or it might just be straight Xwindows which is low level winapi, which will run on any desktop! ) maybe using debian packaging (.deb) .
So just install a distro which installs gnome desktop as default and is based on debian, ubuntu & Mint etc.
I like Mint because I like the Window's XP look and feel, and it's not bloated with extra software like ubuntu.

I don't use Ubuntu, but you want developer, I'm guessing it includes your IDE,compiler,linker etc.
Not sure what distro to pick, check out: http://distrowatch.com/
PS: notice how Mint is #1 ;P

I can see the price of EE v2 going up again grin
Good work!

Cheers!!!!!! smile

EDIT:candam re speed, my graphic card (intel integrated crap running dual monitors) runs faster in Linux then winXP & Win7! goes to show sometimes community software is better then the offical drivers!
You'll find Linux faster, as it runs leaner then WinVista/7/8
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2013 08:55 PM by gwald.)
12-18-2013 08:40 PM
Rubeus Offline

(12-18-2013 08:40 PM)gwald Wrote:  Guys, it doesn't really mater what version of Linux.
o.O
I find myself very skeptical of this statement.
12-18-2013 10:10 PM
yvanvds Offline

It does matter a BIT which linux you use. I think 32/64 bit don't mix that well but 32 bit is getting a bit old anyway. And if the versions of the libraries EE is compiled with are different from the ones you use, you might run into problems. Of course it's possible to have different versions of libraries installed next to each other, but that means it might not work out of the box.

As for the 'developer' version, i don't recall distro's have something like that. Ubuntu has a desktop and a server edition. Which basically means different packages are installed by default. The server edition does not have a GUI by default, only console access. The desktop edition is what you want though. The packages you need for development are easily installed with apt-get. You could also try ubuntu studio, which is more optimised for audio and graphics work. It installs the real-time kernel instead of the default one and has some other tweaks enabled by default. I don't think it will have an impact on the editor itself, but it might have some advantages to the other work you do on it.

About Gnome/KDE etc.: that should not matter, unless perhaps for drag and drop support. The EE editor uses it's own gui components so it should run on both. (Just like it does not uses the Mac gui, for instance.)

Regards,

yvan
12-18-2013 11:02 PM
candam Offline

(12-18-2013 11:02 PM)yvanvds Wrote:  It does matter a BIT which linux you use. I think 32/64 bit don't mix that well but 32 bit is getting a bit old anyway. And if the versions of the libraries EE is compiled with are different from the ones you use, you might run into problems. Of course it's possible to have different versions of libraries installed next to each other, but that means it might not work out of the box.

As for the 'developer' version, i don't recall distro's have something like that. Ubuntu has a desktop and a server edition. Which basically means different packages are installed by default. The server edition does not have a GUI by default, only console access. The desktop edition is what you want though. The packages you need for development are easily installed with apt-get. You could also try ubuntu studio, which is more optimised for audio and graphics work. It installs the real-time kernel instead of the default one and has some other tweaks enabled by default. I don't think it will have an impact on the editor itself, but it might have some advantages to the other work you do on it.

About Gnome/KDE etc.: that should not matter, unless perhaps for drag and drop support. The EE editor uses it's own gui components so it should run on both. (Just like it does not uses the Mac gui, for instance.)

Regards,

yvan

Yup I agree with you yvan because Esenthel uses it own gui components so it should not be a problem running on the most distros there are probably minor differences related to every system function but I'm pretty sure it won't be that much smile
12-18-2013 11:43 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've installed Ubuntu 13.10 I think, I grabbed the latest available at that time.
Some things do seem slower than on windows, for example loading shaders, on DirectX you can load precompiled shaders so it's fast, but on opengl they need to be compiled everytime so it's slower.
The other thing that I've noticed is that editing of terrain meshes is slower.
Also please make sure to have 64 bit version installed of the OS as I'll be providing only this architecture.
I'm not using .deb packages but executables without extensions.
12-19-2013 12:26 AM