About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Linux issues
yvanvds Offline

RE: Linux issues
You might want to try out a few other opengl programs with your linux machine. I suspect they won't be running either. Intel doesn't really support linux drivers, i think. AMD drivers exist, but aren't perfect. The best choice for a linux machine with opengl is still and nvidia card.
02-16-2014 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Offline

(02-16-2014 12:36 PM)yvanvds Wrote:  You might want to try out a few other opengl programs with your linux machine. I suspect they won't be running either. Intel doesn't really support linux drivers, i think. AMD drivers exist, but aren't perfect. The best choice for a linux machine with opengl is still and nvidia card.

Yvan, thanks for suggestsion, but i have a nettop and there is no place to put nvidia card into smile

@Greg
Windows works well with installer, so i think the problem is in Intel HD video. Anyway thanks for help! Maybe in nearest future i will find a PC with Nvidia graphics to try EE on linux smile
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2014 01:03 PM by Houge.)
02-16-2014 12:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cat555 Offline

Hi @Houge, have you checked this: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads
02-17-2014 12:22 PM
Houge Offline

(02-17-2014 12:22 PM)cvieira Wrote:  Hi @Houge, have you checked this: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads

I tried that, don't know why but it didn't help, maybe cause it's unofficial.
02-17-2014 12:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

Thanks, cvieira!

I assumed for so long that intel drivers on linux didn't exist. It seems they're already working on this a few years now. I hope they'll get into the repositories soon.
02-17-2014 12:40 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I was able to investigate the "Syntax error: EOF in backquote substitution" message, and it appears to be happening in 'Exit' or window message box when the text contains the backquote `.
I've adjusted the codes to replace that character with normal quote '.

However this means that the engine indeed fails to initialize on your system, the only fix that I've done is that now it will display a proper message.

My guess is that it will be related to failure of shader compilation (the OpenGL/graphics driver compiler can't cope with the shader code).
I've just tried running the engine on Windows OpenGL under Intel, and there it fails as well. Looks like Intel+OpenGL is no go (except Mac, which uses Apple OpenGL drivers).
02-19-2014 04:04 AM
Houge Offline

Thanks for investigation! Now it's fully clear.
02-19-2014 04:55 AM
Houge Offline

(02-19-2014 04:04 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  My guess is that it will be related to failure of shader compilation (the OpenGL/graphics driver compiler can't cope with the shader code).

By the way, if i'd like to install only EE 2.0 Server on linux, how can that be done? I mean if i don't need graphics at all.

As i understand you have such thing for windows ("Esenthel Engine 2.0 Installer for Windows Server (installs Esenthel on Windows Dedicated Servers)").
02-19-2014 02:10 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi, I've added this to the roadmap
02-19-2014 11:16 PM
Houge Offline

Thank you!
02-20-2014 04:56 AM
Houge Offline

Sorry for necroposting, but that's what i found out (summary):
1. You can't install EE to Ubuntu 12.04 or lower (due to libc6 incompatible version)
2. You can't install EE to a computer without an extern videocard (even with intel drivers from https://01.org). I tried several different computers with different intel HD videocards, no success.
3. You need Nvidia binary Xorg driver (if you have Nvidia videocard like me) and a reboot after its installation.
4. Packages from txt manual (comes with Linux EE) is more than enough (no additional drivers needed).
5. I finally installed Ubuntu to my main PC and i confirm it's running! smile
[Image: image.png]
04-05-2014 10:54 AM
Houge Offline

UPD:
Hi all! Just wanted to say that i tried to install EE on Arch Linux (Gnome) and it works fine smile
[Image: image.png]
04-29-2014 06:57 PM
Houge Offline

By the way, Greg, you can add information about Arch libraries requirements/installation (for EE + NetBeans), it's the following:

Code:
sudo pacman -Sy jdk7-openjdk base-devel openal unixodbc nvidia-cg-toolkit

sudo ln /usr/lib/libodbc.so.2 /usr/lib/libodbc.so.1
05-04-2014 05:15 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Thanks smile
I've added this
05-04-2014 10:49 PM
Houge Offline

Greg,
I'm sorry for necroposting smile but i continue investigating EE part that's related to linux platforms and this topic is the best place to share my thoughts.
I found out that despite the fact that Intel shares it's GPU code with open source (so there is no need in proprietary Intel drivers) EE doesn't work with Intel showing shader errors on starting an application.
The next thing i found out is that Intel graphics supports OpenGL v3.3 on linux and v4.0 on Windows.
Can it be the issue? Do you use v4.0 in EE? If yes, is there a way to try to use 3.3? smile
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2014 11:03 AM by Houge.)
06-03-2014 11:02 AM