About Store Forum Documentation Contact

How to set viewport near clip plane on EE 2.0 world editor?
cat555 Offline

How to set viewport near clip plane on EE 2.0 world editor?
Hi, is it possible to set the viewport near clip plane in EE 2.0 world editor?

I'm working in a world in different scale (1/100), so my objects are very tiny... i want to look them closely in world editor, but without setting the near clip plane to a smaller value, i can't.

When running the game, there is no problem because i set the near clip plane to fit my needs:

Code:
D.viewFrom(0.25/100.0);

I've checked EE settings but can't find this particular option to be set...
01-24-2014 12:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: How to set viewport near clip plane on EE 2.0 world editor?
Is there a reason you are using 1/100 scale? Due to floating point inaccuracies, you are better off staying as near to 1 as possible. Additionally, the modular design of the worlds in EE means it's more efficient to stay near 1 as well.
01-24-2014 02:36 PM
cat555 Offline

Hi, yes i know that would be better to stay near 1. But i'm building a flight simulator, and i need a large terrain. Since the target is android, i need to keep the game package as small as possible, so i decided to use 1/100 scale. This way i can have a terrain with hundreds of km2, within a relatively small package smile
01-24-2014 02:48 PM
Rubeus Offline

I don't think the scale matters at all- it's the number of vertices, as well as the number/size of textures and such things. I'm thinking you will have a harder time with smaller objects because your areas will have more in them(more to process). It might be worth doing a unit test to see how the performance compares in each situation.
01-24-2014 10:45 PM
cat555 Offline

Hmmm, i see... i just went with a small test days ago... i've created just a small terrain has a test (around 1280 m2 i think - using area size and heightmap resolution of 128), with just a few objects on it, and using just 2 or 3 textures. I've got a package around 30MB i think... so i've extended that same terrain to about 3968 m2 (using area size and heightmap resolution of 128), and i'm using the same objects and textures as in the first example. After this the game package has now about 120MB... so i assumed that a large terrain will occupy too much space for the mobile platforms.

That's why i assumed 1 meter for me is 1/100 of Esenthel unit (1m), and all objects use this scale also, of course. With this, and with the same terrain i mentioned above, i get a terrain with 396,8km2.

But i'll make some more tests (and searches on the forum) regarding the terrain size and how the size of the package is related with it.

Thanks!

In a fast search on the forum i found this, also about a flight sim, and Esenthel suggested also to use own scale (1/100 he suggested as example also) :\ http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...in+size%22

This may suggest that a big terrain will have some drawbacks... maybe it's disk space usage...
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2014 12:16 AM by cat555.)
01-25-2014 12:10 AM