About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[ANDROID] Help with textures quality... having trouble here....
cat555 Offline

[ANDROID] Help with textures quality... having trouble here....
Hi,

I'm having trouble with quality of textures (terrain) in android. They come up to be so much pixelated when moving the camera away from the origin.

Simple scenario example: simple terrain with 4 areas of 32x32 each. In the origin the textures show up quite good. But when moving the camera away for the origin the textures loses so much quality... They get so pixelated in just few meters away...

I'm testing with textures from the store. Don't know how to overcome this problem.In the Desktop computer all is showing up fine...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks
01-31-2014 11:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cat555 Offline

RE: [ANDROID] Help with textures quality... having trouble here....
Hi again,

I've found a thread in this forum that is related to my thread... Thread "Bug? with terrain textures"

So this is related with low precision in the shader floats... in a little search on the web, i've seen this same issue in other engines, as would be normal, since it does not depend only on them, as for Esenthel...

Esenthel, in the roadmap you have this, which is related:
- overcome the issue of poor texture coordinates shader precision on some mobile devices for terrain mesh

I have then, 3 questions:
  1. Is there any technique/workaround that i can use to minimize a little bit, the appearance of the textures?
  2. The solution proposed in the roadmap, will solve this quite good?
  3. How much would cost (opening a contribution thread) to bring this feature to the top of the list of the roadmap?

I don't have many experience with shaders, but can't this be overcome by a solution such as used in here for shadow mapping - http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems..._ch12.html. So, the idea is to use an RGBA texture to store high precision values... can this be a solution to overcome this problem?

Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2014 04:48 PM by cat555.)
02-01-2014 04:46 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

1) Not yet, sorry
2) If I'll add this then yes smile
3) This would cost approximately 300-700$, I could give you more precise number if you tell me you're interested.

Thanks for the link, but that's something completely different wink

Thank you
02-01-2014 10:22 PM
cat555 Offline

Hi Esenthel, thanks for your reply.

1) Ok :(
2) Ok that's nice, because this is quite a drawback, for those who want to develop games in android
3) Well, I would love to take it to first priority, but it's quite expensive for me at this moment. In the case of a new contribution thread open to community, what's needed?

Thanks
02-02-2014 10:26 AM
cat555 Offline

Hi Esenthel,

I've made some tests without UV Scale, or UV Scale = 1.0, and the pixelated effect simply does not occur... well, this is not making the difference for me, since i'm using world scale 1/100, and it's not quite easy to get textures for that, without using the UV Scale feature...

So, i now that there is the issue of poor texture coordinates shader precision in many devices (not your fault of course), but if this issue has a solution (don't know if it's easy and fast to develop), and please, don't take me wrong, but can't you consider to include this fix faster than the roadmap shows... this problem is quite a drawback for those who paid a License to use Esenthel and need to use this for an important platform such as Android, which Esenthel support.

I'm sure that you agree that using a large terrain without good looking textures (even in Android, where the expectations are not such high (yet) as in desktops), it's not quite good... it really may get my project down in the starting phase of it...

Regards,
02-04-2014 11:40 PM
cat555 Offline

Hi @Esenthel,

Taking into account the new licensing model, how do you think you will address this issue (i already know that it's not Esenthel fault thought)? It's on the roadmap? (the roadmap page is still the same - http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=1507 or it's deprecated?)

Any chances that we will have a quick workaround for this issue? (there are still many many devices with low precision in shader floats, in the market, so it would be of great help for those interested in publishing to android)

Thanks!
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 03:08 PM by cat555.)
08-06-2014 03:07 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

The licensing model does not affect the roadmap in any way.

Thank you
08-07-2014 04:05 AM