About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Improve Linux compatibility
93i Offline

Improve Linux compatibility
Hi there,

just got my license and i am only interested in the Linux port.

Unfortunately it is not very compatible.

You build on a glibc 2.17 System, which means that Esenthel does not run on many common Linux Distributions (e.g. Debian 7, glibc 2.13)

I would strongly recommend to install a Debian 7 or maybe even Debian 6 distro - maybe in VirtualBox - and use it as build platform.

I would also recommend to provide a startup shell script and include some less common libraries like libodbc and libudev with the binaries. Something like:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH="./lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH" ./Esenthel.bin

Please feel free to contact me if you need tester or additional info/help.
02-05-2014 08:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
93i Offline

RE: Improve Linux compatibility
... and yeah... 32 bit build too please, as far as i know steam for linux is 32 bit only, i doubt that it can handle 64 bit games at all, so it should be impossible to submit esenthel games to steam at the moment.
02-05-2014 10:14 AM
cat555 Offline

Hi, well you're right, but you can workaround it... i'm using Debian 7, but with glibc 2.17 from the testing (debian jessie) repository. Also libudev is from testing repository.
02-05-2014 10:37 AM
Zervox Offline

Steam can run on 64bit linux and supports 64bit linux games since 2013 june/july.
02-05-2014 12:06 PM
93i Offline

@zervox good to know, but still you are losing potential customers with commercial 64bit only linux software

@cvieira on linux there is always a workaround wink but it should not be neccessary to search for one by default (i still have the software not running on my notebook, running linuxmint 14, even tried it in a virtual box, no success - the only way for me to run it is my desktop at home running arch linux... not a good situation)

I am an open source and commercial linux developer for about 20 years now and my experience is that it is always the best to use the oldest widely used distro out there for building closed source software, which would be either debian 6 or centos 5 at the moment.
02-05-2014 12:41 PM
Zervox Offline

Well aware ^^ Just wanted to notify there is support for 64bit smile
02-05-2014 01:45 PM