About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Partial editor source code for Esenthel Editor 20
Gian-Reto Offline

Partial editor source code for Esenthel Editor 20
Hi Esenthel

It might be that I missed an update, but according to the latest information On EE 2.0 I remember there was still uncertainty wether partial editor source code would be available again for EE 2...

If this Feature really isn't planned yet for EE 2.0, I would like to suggest to add it to the roadmap.

l came to rely on it for things like automatically texturing my terrain, and I would hate having to rely on the built in tools for that from now on.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who would throw down 750 bucks again to get the partial sources for EE 2.0 so 1 could continue working like I used to in EE 1.0... with the added usefulness of the new UI

Thanks in advance for your consideration

Regards

Gian-Reto
05-06-2013 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Partial editor source code for Esenthel Editor 20
Hello,

Did you try importing terrain materials using "material maps"? (it allows specifying terrain material per-vertex from previously pre-generated images)

I've added this element to the roadmap "◦option to programatically setup objects/terrain in the editor"
05-06-2013 04:07 PM
Gian-Reto Offline

hi Esenthel

That does sound pretty interesting...

I didn't yet test the Editor 2.0, but I have the license and will have a look.

This material maps means though that I have to generate this maps in another Application, right?
could you elaborate what kind of Map is needed for this?

Thanks for the quick Answer
05-06-2013 10:31 PM
fatcoder Offline

I have never actually tried the feature in question, but I would assume you would create a texture where each channel controls the influence of a material. So the red channel controls your first material, green controls the second and so.
05-07-2013 01:33 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Hm, that would mean I'm limited to 4 materials. Not saying using more would be good idea because of the additional draw calls, but still, its nice to have the option.

Also, sadly I haven't found a good tool to do what I do in my custom editor yet (especially the rubble flows below the rocks are hard to get right with world machine)... is there any possibility to a) create a terrain in EE 2.0, work on the heightmap there, then open it in EE 1.0 to use my current custom editor, oder b) export the terrain as a heightmap from EE 2.0 and import that to EE 1.0 to create these material maps with my custom editor? Would this conflict with the EE 2.0 license model?

I would hate having to write my own Application that reads the heightmap and transforms it to height information just to create these material maps. Of course it would be possible, but seems to be overhead.
05-07-2013 07:34 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

If that functionality is crucial to your game, I could add this to EE store contribution section first priority development for 750$.

However it would work differently than in 1.0:

I'd provide *.h *.lib (Win) *.a (Mac) functions that allow to connect to Editor 2.0 app on local machine (only connecting to Editor app on the same computer would be allowed) via Connection/networking/TCP.
Once you get connected to the Editor, I'd make following list of functions:
-obtain a list of all project elements (their name, ID, if removed, its parent, its type)
-del/create terrain in specified world at x,y coordinates
-get/set terrain height in specified world at x,y coordinates
-get/set terrain materials in specified world at x,y coordinates (by specifying UID of the materials)
-get/set terrain vertex colors in specified world at x,y coordinates
-place objects in specified world (by specifying UID of object base, and its matrix)

it would allow programatic world creation just like in 1.0, however communication with the editor would be handled via networking, and not manually compiling/linking with the whole editor as in 1.0. (I'd include a tutorial about it).
05-13-2013 10:45 AM
Gian-Reto Offline

Hi Esenthel

I haven't had time to test your earlier suggestions of using the material maps in EE Editor 2, so l'm not sure yet if l really need this for my current project (I have to setup EE 2 on my second machine to not gimp my EE 1 setup for my current prototype ). I might have found a way of achieving my goal with that and world machine.

But if there are more devs interested in this than just me, which is the impression I got from other forum threads. you might get the 750 $ anyway ... I certainly would contribute something even if I don't need it yet.
05-13-2013 03:33 PM
Ireheart Offline

If not for having source codes, perhaps some kind of editor modding\addon support. Keeping the editor too "locked down" just means more work for you Esenthel when i am sure many people would be happy developing and releasing editor features\mods for people to use.
01-02-2014 08:24 PM
bluebird5 Offline

This material maps means though that I have to generate this maps in another Application, right?

http://www.ucla.edu/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alliant_Int...University
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 07:13 AM by bluebird5.)
01-31-2014 01:38 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Material maps is an optional parameter, you don't need to set it.
It's a normal image with RGBA channels expected, you can paint it in Photoshop/Paint, or create it programmatically.
01-31-2014 10:11 PM