About Store Forum Documentation Contact

importing a rigged model from blender
gibberingmouther_1 Offline

importing a rigged model from blender
i tried .fbx, .dae and wavefront. i get a weird error where parts of the rig (?) are imported as cubes at the base of the mesh. these have nothing to do w/ the default blender cube. .fbx and .dae gave me problems w/ the materials not exporting but maybe there are settings i could toggle.

http://postimg.org/image/j8wmowgif/

i tried a simpler rig and got the same error except there was only one cube. it looks a lot like the blender cube but isn't.

i haven't tried b3d yet but i was having problems finding a reliable export script for blender.

edit: tried b3d and got the same error
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 08:37 AM by gibberingmouther_1.)
03-10-2014 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: importing a rigged model from blender
From my experience fbx and b3d file formats import correctly (I've imported hundreds from different sources). So I'd look at your actual export from Blender as being the most likely cause.
03-10-2014 09:22 AM
gwald Offline

Did you try importing the FBX back into blender or other tool?

Blender doesn't use the official FBX SDK, it's a phython reverse engineering hack done by one guy from second life.
In general Blender does many nice things but its very buggy.

That's why I switched to shade3d

If you like blender try a good .blend to .fbx converter like http://www.unwrap3d.com
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 02:47 PM by gwald.)
03-10-2014 11:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gibberingmouther_1 Offline

the cubes turned out to be from the makehuman rig i was using ... actual invisible cubes it looks like, though i haven't figured out what they're supposed to be used for yet ... so this turned out not to be a problem w/ esenthel. i had to go into the scene window in order for them to be visible.

can still only get the textures in wavefront which of course is no good for a character model

edit: okay, this is all working and i think i figured out how to get the textures too. getting rid of the boxes didn't appear to affect the animation at all, at least for the mh 7 game rig
(This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 08:53 AM by gibberingmouther_1.)
03-10-2014 11:31 AM