About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[Esenthel 1.0] Optimization - material blending and number of objects
Nox_A15 Offline

[Esenthel 1.0] Optimization - material blending and number of objects
I will talk about the scene you can see on the screenshot below:
https://www.facebook.com/MemoryOfSoul/ph...=3&theater

For testing purposes I've separated just this exact fragment of the map. The framerate is much below expectations, so I started to experiment a little and found out about two things I would like to ask you about.

1. How many objects do you use on your scenes, usually? I mean these in the vicinity of the player, not only seen by the camera.

In our scene here is more that 37.000 objects, including grass, or more than 1.700, excluding grass. Yeah, that's a lot of grass. But my main goal so far was the visual appeal and I don't know if that's a reasonable amount from technological point of view. This scene isn't finished yet, so there will probably be even more objects (and grass) in the future.

2. How to make good looking and quickly rendered heightmap in Esenthel?

To my surprise I discovered that I'm able to play the original Esenthel 1.0 build pretty smoothly if I paint the terrain only with one material first. Even with these 37.000 objects, the biggest problem turned out to be the material blending on the heightmap.

That's quite a problem for me - it took some time to polish the look of the heightmap so much. There are a lot of materials here. More info - area size: 32.000, heightmap resolution: 128, 2D path resolution: 64. And that's just a small fragment of the map.

Any suggestions?
03-18-2014 03:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: [Esenthel 1.0] Optimization - material blending and number of objects
Hello,

1.0 is no longer supported, I recommend upgrading to 2.0.

For performance improvements I recommend contributing to the Hardware Instancing item in Esenthel Store - http://www.esenthel.com/?id=store&cat=4
Which improves performance of rendering many objects of the same type.
03-18-2014 09:07 PM
Nox_A15 Offline

RE: [Esenthel 1.0] Optimization - material blending and number of objects
I'm well aware of that. wink But as you probably remember, our team is running without proper resources, just on our free time. We must use what we are able to. Other than that, I think per-seat licence for 2.0 would only make things harder for us and we already have a lot of difficulties on our hands.

We are doing our best to make the game you could be proud of as well (and let's be honest - advertise the engine even more with it), so any help will be appreciated. If you would want to discuss some more strict collaboration, we are open for it any time. smile
03-19-2014 05:19 PM