About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Absolute beginner...
marla Offline

Absolute beginner...
Hello,

I got a few pre-sales questions -> absolute beginner, sorry.

May I develop games for iOS under Windows 7 and just compile on a Mac?

Can the world builder be used for rooms like spaceship etc.? Are there any tutorials?

Do I have to develop charecter AI, or are there skripts that can be used?

THANK YOU!

Best,

M.
03-29-2014 07:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

RE: Absolute beginner...
Hello there, I'm not very advanced myself, but I'll try to help;

You can use the world builder for rooms just fine, although the room would have to be an object, you can't manipulate the terrain and make a room out of it.

There are lots of application tutorials that show you how to make use of different code features and how to implement several functionalities, and there are also a few youtube videos about how to edit the world and handle the engine.

You can always copy some basic AI script from a source code you are given (ex Bloody Massacre) but it's not very advanced, so I'd say you would have to make your own.

I don't know anything about developing for iOS, sorry.

I hope I was of use.
03-29-2014 07:49 PM
marla Offline

...thank you very much!

Yes, that helps.

But, you know, the world builder looks very powerful. But all tutorials show it for creation of "outdoor" worlds.

Found nothing for rooms... found samples for Shiva3D, but not for Esenthel.

Think it might be the best to try the Bloody Massacre smple as you recommended...

Again, thank you very much!

Best,

M.
03-29-2014 07:54 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Well, indeed, the world editor is not the best tool for rooms, but you CAN use it;

You wouldn't have terrain, but you can still use the world editor to place the room in the "world" as a big object, and then place lots of other smaller objects inside it and play around with them. You wouldn't use a lot of features, but... yes, you can use it to edit rooms just fine. I think Scarlet Thread here has a game that's just inside rooms, I never asked but I'm pretty sure it was done in the world editor.
03-29-2014 07:59 PM
marla Offline

...maybe there is an external level editor that works better. Gonna search for it...
03-29-2014 08:06 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Maybe; I have to admit, when editing interiors it can be quite annoying that I always highlight and select the room object. But I can overlook that, I'm mostly working in the open world.
03-29-2014 08:19 PM
Rubeus Offline

Lucius is mostly an indoor game made in Esenthel. Yes, rooms are entirely doable. Just save the roofs for last so you can see what you are doing.

You can code and test for any platform on whichever you prefer- you just have to use Mac to compile for iOS. Compiling in Windows will give you a Windows binary.
03-29-2014 08:50 PM
marla Offline

...thank you, Rubeus.

Working on a way to ex-/import levels from FPSC (First Person Shooter) from TGC.

Could import parts of created levels to Esenthel.

Will tell you about my efforts.

By the way:

Began working with Esenthel this night.

Seems to be a great environment. Looks quite difficul to me, but hope to understand more and more the next days.

Thx for your great support...

Take care,

M.
03-30-2014 07:02 AM
marla Offline

...found a solution:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/for...ead/134212

Works great!

Cheers,

M.
03-30-2014 11:26 AM
Rubeus Offline

That will work. But be sure to do it in relatively small pieces. Large meshes generally don't take advantage of performance features of the engine, like Culling.
03-30-2014 07:43 PM
Tottel Offline

(03-30-2014 07:43 PM)Rubeus Wrote:  That will work. But be sure to do it in relatively small pieces. Large meshes generally don't take advantage of performance features of the engine, like Culling.

You don't want to have too many small pieces either, since there is no instancing. smile
03-30-2014 07:55 PM
xzessmedia Offline

That was one of the reasons i bought Esenthel, because you can work on win or mac and just compile on the specific system to port it.
03-30-2014 11:59 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

If you import one big mesh as "terrain" object type, then it will be automatically split into smaller meshes (for benefit of culling).
So you're free to import 1 huge object as entire mesh level, as long as you'll set "terrain" object type.
03-31-2014 05:54 AM
marla Offline

...thx a lot for all your advice. Will give it a try...

...sorry, guys. If I may ask one or two (maybe three...) newbie questions, please:

I go through the tutorials and try to understand how things are done in Esenthel.

What I still do not really understand is character AI: How to "tell" a non player character to behave within the world. Are there any tutorials? Could not find...

And how about developing for mobile devices - are there tutorials about limited cpu power, different screen resolutions, retina support...

Thank you!!!

Kind Regards,

M.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 09:06 AM by marla.)
03-31-2014 08:54 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

For AI you can look at bloody massacre tutorial how to implement simple ai, basically it runs down to, if player is in range of sight, walk towards it, if he's in range of attack, then attack him. In the end it's up to you how to design ai decisions

For screen resolutions etc please look here
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Screen_Coordinates

For general info on mobile please look here
http://www.esenthel.com/?id=doc#Mobile
03-31-2014 07:49 PM