About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[ANDROID] MySQL & URL open
DES Offline

[ANDROID] MySQL & URL open
Hi all,
I'm developing my first mobile application in Android using Esenthel and I find it to be really efficient in converting the same code into different platforms.
But I'm facing some problems now related to MySQL's integration into an android app and to open a browser with an URL sent by my app.

If I well understood it is IMPOSSIBLE to directly access a MySQL database from an Android app. I have googled this and if you want to make it possible you have to make something like this:

1. Connect my app with a PHP script.
2. PHP Script will fetch data from the database and will encode it into a specific format and send it to the device.
3. Then my app will parse the data received and use it.

probably I'm missing something...but how to make the first point here?
and is there a way to directly open the default internet browser in an Android app, made with Esenthel, with a specific URL?

Thanks for your answers!
04-01-2014 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline

RE: [ANDROID] MySQL & URL open
In PHP you can, by means of putting variables in your URL, do or return values.

For example:
http://www.esenthel.com/projects/?act=version

I use this on my personal site. This receives a value and just prints out the value "36" from our dB.

Other examples:
http://www.esenthel.com/projects/?act=re...?username=[name]?pass=[password] to directy write into your MySQL dB.
04-01-2014 10:54 PM
DES Offline

Ok, so you are speaking about passing variables and interact with a DB with URLs. You said you use this on your personal site, but even if I want to use a system like this I have to use it from inside my app, made with Esenthel.

In Esenthel there is the SQL class to directly connect your app with a DB, but it is impossible to use it in a mobile app as I said before. So i'm asking if is there a way to do it.

I want to find a way to do this mainly for 2 reasons:
1. to create a mail list. From inside my mobile app I want that a user can regiter his email into my list. And i want to save the list into a MySQL DB (that's why I need that feature for now).

2. Then I want to put URLs into my app so if you click them the default browser must open with that specified URL inside.
04-02-2014 11:32 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

For Mobile platforms, only SQLite is supported for SQL.

You can use Download to send parameters to PHP via URLParam
04-03-2014 01:59 AM