About Store Forum Documentation Contact

GPS question
yvanvds Offline

GPS question
Hi.

I was testing a GPS app i'm working on, today.

At first, I could not get a recent update. I displayed LocationTimeUTC().asText() on my screen to be sure, and it did not progress. Only when I switched to google maps and back, a new update was received.

I found out that can get continuous updates when I use google maps to navigate to some point and I've not reached my destination. In that scenario my Esenthel app keeps refreshing its location.

Now, I am using

LocationRefresh(1, true);

in my create() function. I was not able to test it just yet (getting to a location where GPS works costs me 15 minutes and I cannot take my computer...) but I have a hunch that Google Maps turns off the GPS updates when it switches to background mode, unless the navigation system is on.

Would it be wise to set LocationRefresh on every update? Would this have an impact on performance?

BTW, this is on a nexus 5, with android 4.4. I don't have any problems on an older android tablet.

Update: I was wrong. Using LocationRefresh on every upate does not help. I really need to have navigation on in google maps.

Regards,

yvan
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2014 06:00 PM by yvanvds.)
04-02-2014 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: GPS question
Hi,

It looks like something was changed in Android 4.4, I'll look into this.

(Thanks for reporting the issue).
04-03-2014 02:00 AM
yvanvds Offline

Thanks!

Btw, the same issue exists with some of my older apps that are already in the play store and used to work with my previous mobile. So yeah, it will most probably be an 4.4 problem and surely not related to programming mistakes.
04-03-2014 07:34 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've made some changes to the code, I hope that the next release will work ok, please let me know once it's ready.
04-04-2014 04:33 AM