About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Esenthel brand new Full Source Licensing
yvanvds Offline

RE: Esenthel brand new Full Source Licensing
But of course you CAN share the changes in the protected part of the forum. It's good for extra karma :-)
04-23-2014 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cranky Offline

okay thanks a bunch! I'll definitely consider sharing anything I deemed worthy. thanks for the answers guys!
04-23-2014 11:47 AM
Mardok Offline

Esenthel Wrote:Every single business out there is built around the fact of bringing constant income. You don't just get money from a customer once, and then say thanks, goodbye and forget them. This doesn't make sense, a good business is a constant relationship. Especially in an engine related business. Customers have constant expectations, for new elements, and this what the engine creator needs to provide. This is constant need->develop->get->need another->develop another->get another feature, and the subscription licensing system is almost perfect for that.

In my opinion the above quote explains all clearly and straight. Greg, i respect and understand your decision. You are not the humanitarian organization which doing things free for all. Your Engine can count for further cooperation with me and my money xD
04-27-2014 01:06 AM
Finstern Offline

Unsure about how the "what we paid before" work with "what we'll get with the yearly (or less) sub system".

So I understood that my v2.0 is still here if I don't want to subscribe.

Now if I subscribe, then stop subscribing at some point in the futur, what will I have left ?
Still owning my v2.0 with it's updates ?

I'm sorry to ask but all this fuzz make thing hard to understand, I'm afraid that I'm not loving too much the monthly subscribing stuff, but if it's the way you choose, then let's go this path .. I just hope that you will get enough customer willing to pay your subscription fee instead of paying to own definitively the right to use the software.
I'm just not too confident about it :s

Good luck.
04-27-2014 04:07 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Same here; I'm sad to say I'm moving to another engine with my rpg game. I really am, but I just don't feel "safe" with E anymore :(. I might still use EE for small android games like misled balls, but for my rpg mmo-wanna-be I don't feel safe to stay here anymore. And I'm sorry about it, but I don't move to the subscription system and most of all I'm afraid Esenthel can plug the plug of EE 2.0 at any time with that "no support or waranty of any kind" part of the licence agreement.

I don't want to prove anything, and I'm really sorry to leave, but I still think this wasn't the best business move. (and I'm just saying a kind of goodbye, but I know others that left too because of the same reasons...). and most of all, I'd like to apologise to Pixel for never managing to put up that showcase grin.
04-27-2014 09:08 AM
rstralberg Offline

I must confess that as I'm busy with some other projects I haven't used Esenthel. However I'm supporting it anyway by a subscription as its a great engine well worth some support.
04-27-2014 10:24 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
candam Offline

(04-27-2014 09:08 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  Same here; I'm sad to say I'm moving to another engine with my rpg game. I really am, but I just don't feel "safe" with E anymore :(. I might still use EE for small android games like misled balls, but for my rpg mmo-wanna-be I don't feel safe to stay here anymore. And I'm sorry about it, but I don't move to the subscription system and most of all I'm afraid Esenthel can plug the plug of EE 2.0 at any time with that "no support or waranty of any kind" part of the licence agreement.

I don't want to prove anything, and I'm really sorry to leave, but I still think this wasn't the best business move. (and I'm just saying a kind of goodbye, but I know others that left too because of the same reasons...). and most of all, I'd like to apologise to Pixel for never managing to put up that showcase grin.

Andrew you're free to do whatever you want that's for sure bro .

But I want to say something to prove that you're point about being safe is not reasonable .

Why don't you feel unsafe with the subscription system ?

you feel that someday Esenthel 2.0 will be dropped pal

We all purchased Esenthel 2.0 knowing that it has to be pluged to the internet in order to make it authorize .

About proving that you're completely safe that you can for the same amount of money that you got Esenthel 2.0 to get one year subscription with the ( source code ) How do you want to become safe more than that ?

Excuse me for that . But I'm saying that because I care about your existence you're just like me still starting somethings up so please revise this decision and try to make more causative

Good luck with any decision you make pal I hope the best for you anyway
04-27-2014 10:27 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(04-27-2014 09:08 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  Same here; I'm sad to say I'm moving to another engine with my rpg game. I really am, but I just don't feel "safe" with E anymore :(. I might still use EE for small android games like misled balls, but for my rpg mmo-wanna-be I don't feel safe to stay here anymore. And I'm sorry about it, but I don't move to the subscription system and most of all I'm afraid Esenthel can plug the plug of EE 2.0 at any time with that "no support or waranty of any kind" part of the licence agreement.

Hi Andrew, I'd like to make a plea for you to stay too.

First and foremost because your a keen developer and I've been impressed by your determination and quest for knowledge whilst going through this learning curve we have all embarked on. You are one of several people that joined around the time I did and it brings a kind of kindred spirit or bond which is noticeable in candam's post. We have all grown and achieved a lot in that time.

Secondly, because at least in the short to medium term I believe your uncertainties about EE 2.0 are unfounded, as although it's no longer actively supported there is little chance of Greg removing the internet enabling so long as he has a server active as this would in theory be a breech of contract with the purchaser as I see it. Of course, it will naturally become outdated over time ... for some platforms faster than others. I have engines 5 years old that still run on Windows though.

Regarding the subscription, as you know I'm not a fan either but I do believe it's very good value still for a constantly evolving engine of this quality and stability! I appreciate though that not everyone is in a position to further outlay money due to other considerations and pressures.

I hope you'll reconsider but if not then I wish you the best of luck wherever you go. No worries on the showcase btw ... you'll be showcasing your game somewhere in the not to distant future I'm sure wink
04-27-2014 12:07 PM
gwald Offline

What pixel said about EE v2 is 100% correct.
I can't find the post, I can't remember the thread it was in.. too many, but he clearly stated that (from memory): as long as he's a web site is up, EE v2 users will be able to continue using EE v2.

I'm not a fan of the subscription model either but this one is to everyone's benefit.
Get the source license, It gives you access to the source for a year.. after that (as I understand it) if you don't need the upgrades you're not forced to buy it again and you 'could' use it AS-IS (no update/access to source) by removing the license checking code.

Also, if you think Greg is a risk, yes hard to understand why he does somethings over others.. but that's his discretion, and not a risk.. he does work hard on personal feature request.

And If anything this v3 fiasco has show is that he is very willing to listen and act on community input.

Good luck finding a better RPG engine.. EE is heavily focused on RPG with a very mature feature set... and that's worth the price alone.

I haven't had the time to get into EE lately but I troll to see what everyone is up to.
Good luck regardless.
04-27-2014 01:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

I love you too guys smile
But my game is moving slowly, and at the moment I can\'t afford to move on to EE 3, and I'm not sure if i will be later on; So for my dram game I have to go elsewhere.
I agree however with all you said, I like the community, and indeed I learned a lot from EE smile

And I really mean it when I say I'm sorry. I liked Esenthel A LOT, I like the workflow, I like that I can make everything on my own from the basics (which everyone outside Esenthel is telling me is stupid), because you get a much more "personal" game.

And I will stick around playing with hobby projects and android applications, but I will have to try something else with my rpg; Sorry, if I could afford it, I'd be happy to upgrade to 3.0 and go on.
04-27-2014 03:03 PM
Rofar Offline

I'm going to miss your posts Andrew. There has been more than once that you would post a question or something that would end up helping me out it some way. I was really looking forward to seeing your project moving along and eventually see it completed. I feel like you have the right determination and attitude to make it successful.

Best of luck to you and I hope you can still let this community know how your project is going.
04-28-2014 10:31 PM
SamNainocard Offline

Didn't come to check by for months, now that EE has moved to subscription model.
Not sure if I should be happy or not. Each have pros and cons, I still do have to subscript internet.

My worry are those who're slow in development, either lack of time or something like myself, my game didn't close to alpha, it's already 3+ years in development.
At least it got 0% royalties, which I believe it's better. Unless you're using Esenthel Store, which royalties should be lower for subscriber?

I have 1 question though, in case of license expired or internet-less day, can I still compile these code? or do I have to subscription before I can compile them?

Guess I'll to subscript within a day, aiming for yearly as I already surplus license cost in my piggy bank.
Gotta catch up with you guys. See you in Support!

And Andrew, while I wished you to stay, but it's you decision after all.
05-07-2014 07:08 AM
andrake Offline

What about contribution for developers who can't afford license in contribution area of site? really i think sometimes somebody can afford it. it's 3+ : developer get license, EEdeveloper get fee, contributor get + in carma
05-08-2014 04:40 AM
psyco001 Offline

The new licenses are interresting, but for learning/testing purposes it would be nice if the demo limitations would be a littlebit changed.
e.g. something like cutting out these "including deleted" assets/files and increase the asset/file limitation, because i have some assets that i can't import correctly because some models are linking multiple times to the same texture so that the texture is imported as offten as the texture is linked.
i can't change this in 3dsMax/Blender because i have absolutely no moddelling knowledge.
05-09-2014 06:02 PM
Rubeus Offline

A future version will be reworking the way materials are imported(might have something to do with this). Right now, it's only available in the source, but I imagine it will be hitting the store before long.
(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014 07:54 PM by Rubeus.)
05-09-2014 07:53 PM