I'd like to subscribe, however only if the price was a bit cheaper
The price is fair, I'm going to subscribe soon / I'm already subscribed
The price is not a problem at all, I could even pay a bit more
[Show Results]

Esenthel Binary License Subscription
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Esenthel Binary License Subscription
I would greatly appreciate if everyone could make their votes (this poll is anonymous)
04-08-2014 01:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knocks Offline

RE: Esenthel Binary License Subscription
The price is not an issue but I don’t support subscriptions.
04-08-2014 03:47 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Why not?

Would you rather have Esenthel 3.0 released that would get updated just for 1 year?
04-08-2014 04:06 AM
gwald Offline

wow!
Much respect for the poll smile
... not a fan of software as a server.. but i'm old and see that's where it's heading.

Some still offer stand alone versions, like animation::master 3D S/W, a yearly sub ($70) or outright ($300) with updates for that version, but you can still use it when that version isn't supported - (I guess that's what version2 is now).

Edit: Nobody has mentioned that monthly subscription licensed software is great for team projects... like gamedev.. ie MAYA LT, you can buy a month or two for temp artists/coders rather then and extra license.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 09:33 AM by gwald.)
04-08-2014 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kevindekever Offline

(04-08-2014 04:06 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Why not?

Would you rather have Esenthel 3.0 released that would get updated just for 1 year?

Quote:You may use the Engine only as long as your license subscription is active. If your subscription ends and it's not renewed, you may no longer use the Engine.

its better, because after subscriptions end you have nothing left, fall back to free (because no id). And you can't finish your project. You even can't supply patches of finished games.

Buying updates makes possible to decide whether you want update or not but you can using your bought software all time.

For me it is a different to update features or bugs. Bugs updates is a service you bought with your software and helps to promote your product. (user is willing to buy the feature updates)
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 10:26 AM by kevindekever.)
04-08-2014 08:58 AM
Ireheart Offline

(04-08-2014 04:06 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Why not?

I am with Knocks on this, i find it easier to pay a sum up front in bulk, that way i "own" the licence, i don't have to worry about a subscription to a service and i have a sense of security in-regards to keeping that licence, if i drop-out of a subscription i might loose access to develop what i was working on further. (Assuming you plan to cut-off those who drop subscription)

Also, the price is 14.99, it's only slightly cheaper than UE4\Crytek, although funny enough it works out cheaper than what esenthel engine 2.0 costs ($179.88 subscription or 149.99 1 year sub), so you yourself are actually loosing money. So i guess, in that respect your giving us a better deal.

My feelings are that you should also follow crytek\UE4's rule in regards to access upon someone dropping their subscription, but they won't get any further updates. The key selling point against UE4 is no royalties, which means no hassle and a cheaper price.

Maybe to stop people dropping the subscription, building their game and releasing it, you can introduce a release fee of a product, essentially so the subscriber covers the remainder of the subscription for that year.
04-08-2014 10:47 AM
kevindekever Offline

Another point is the roadmap and ETA in this subscription. There are lot of rerange and working on features you don't need for your project. Contribution is fine for features, but the main roadmap is up to you Greg and not to us. And the featurecontribution have to be maximum (you decide what is max).

Quote:Info:
This list is an indication of what features would want to be added to the engine, it is by no means however indication that they will indeed be implemented.
There is no timeframe or order of development provided.
If a feature is very important for you, and you're willing to pay money for its development in first priority, then feel free to contact me about it (prices are in range of few hundred to few thousand USD)

In supscription i pay fee for features i don't need. Contributing effect nothing until reached maximum.

(04-07-2014 08:43 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  I'm sorry but I've never ever promised anyone anything related to the entire roadmap being implemented into a certain version of the engine (please read your 2.0 license for the details). Please be realistic, the entire roadmap is so vast, it is easily spanned for several years of development. And I did post in the past that each new version of the engine should last around 1 year, after which new one will be released (but now I'm moving into subscription system). The roadmap is simply an indication of what direction I am going with the engine, throughout the entire existence of the engine and myself as its creator.

And as you said, perhaps features i need will come after years.

so ok you never promised anything but you pm me 03-03-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:kevindekever Wrote:
Convertet all Shader Tuts to 2.0 ^^ you need?
There were only little changes exept the path-problems.

Esenthel:
Thank you, however I'd rather wait until I develop integrated Shader Editor in 2.0, because the old shader system from 1.0, has some issues with shader file/ID accessing and automatic publishing.

in 2.0

Look at this Topic:
http://www.esenthel.com/community/showth...p?tid=7137

(10-06-2013 10:48 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Thanks for the opinion! I appreciate your thoughts smile
All of the features that you've listed are on the roadmap, and will be developed.

but when? now 10 month later
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 06:36 PM by kevindekever.)
04-08-2014 06:15 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,
The thread was about cloth, undo support and billboards, by saying it will be developed I meant I hope to develop it in the nearest future. Making the engine is a never ending work of thousand features and improvements. And unfortunately with those 3 as I didn't consider them as the most crucial, I was unable to make them in time until the end of 2.0 version.

As for the shader editor, please look at the contribution section with the new shader system that includes the new editor, people contributed 0$ out of 3000$ necessary for development of this feature.
04-08-2014 09:00 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(04-08-2014 04:06 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Would you rather have Esenthel 3.0 released that would get updated just for 1 year?
I was considering this, however I've decided that it's not worth the trouble of having me to package and update two versions at the same time (subscription binary and 3.0 binary) each time a new update is released.
I could consider doing this only if unreal and cry engine would do the same, but as they're not doing this, please don't expect it to happen.
At the current moment, subscription is the way to go. As many have noticed both in comments and votes in the poll, the price is not really enormous, so I recommend giving it a second thought, all of you want a great engine packed with lot of features and improvements, and all of this requires money. If people won't participate and won't subscribe it simply means I won't be able to gather enough money and won't be able to put 100% focus on the engine, which will make the development slower. It's your choice. Thank you
04-08-2014 09:15 PM
kevindekever Offline

(04-08-2014 09:00 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  Hello,
The thread was about cloth, undo support and billboards, by saying it will be developed I meant I hope to develop it in the nearest future. Making the engine is a never ending work of thousand features and improvements. And unfortunately with those 3 as I didn't consider them as the most crucial, I was unable to make them in time until the end of 2.0 version.

Yeah "you didn't" and that where just examples of roadmap eta
perhaps esenthel 5.0 will support this? You know what i mean?
Clothing looks such beautiful in Esenthel RPG in 1.0 but you can't use it in 2.0

But look to "Hardware Instancing" 950$ already payed and still other points are first on roadmap, exept "AdMob Ads". Yeah i asume develop features cost time/money. And thats what contribution for but then you want me to subscribe and contribute?

(04-08-2014 09:00 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  As for the shader editor, please look at the contribution section with the new shader system that includes the new editor, people contributed 0$ out of 3000$ necessary for development of this feature.
3000 is much money... look @HWI again, thats why...as i said, maximum

(04-08-2014 09:15 PM)Esenthel Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 04:06 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  Would you rather have Esenthel 3.0 released that would get updated just for 1 year?
I was considering this, however I've decided that it's not worth the trouble of having me to package and update two versions at the same time (subscription binary and 3.0 binary) each time a new update is released.
I could consider doing this only if unreal and cry engine would do the same, but as they're not doing this, please don't expect it to happen.
At the current moment, subscription is the way to go. As many have noticed both in comments and votes in the poll, the price is not really enormous, so I recommend giving it a second thought, all of you want a great engine packed with lot of features and improvements, and all of this requires money. If people won't participate and won't subscribe it simply means I won't be able to gather enough money and won't be able to put 100% focus on the engine, which will make the development slower. It's your choice. Thank you

Ok thanks for this great engine, i will use 2.0 in next projects but won't subscribe...because i do not want to rent the video, i want to buy that i can watch it, whenever i want... and it seems you did your choice. Good luck to you and all others in here.
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 10:00 PM by kevindekever.)
04-08-2014 09:34 PM
PsychoBoy Offline

Release fee is good idea imo. Another good would be to create more levels of amounts, with customizable options, so more people can fit their own needs, and people who are poorer will select cheaper option, for eg:
Monthly subscription, base cost: 5$, select options:
-Windows platform +5$
-Android platform +5$
-Support +5$
etc..
(This post was last modified: 04-08-2014 11:49 PM by PsychoBoy.)
04-08-2014 11:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
knocks Offline

We should be compelled to update due to solid engine development not forced. Perhaps I’m too old school but the current trend of selling intentions frustrates me greatly!
04-09-2014 01:50 AM
Ireheart Offline

In-regards to undo support, this is something that drives me nuts when using the level editor, one mess up and it's another 5 minutes fixing what you did wrong.. that or loosing what you did..
04-09-2014 03:45 PM
hightreason Offline

The price isn't the issue. I bought Esenthel because it was not a subscription model. If I buy 2.0 (which I have) and then you release 3.0, so be it. I can either decide to buy 3.0 or stick to 2.0 FOREVER. However, if I simply subscribe, I can develop games for one year then have to pay again to keep developing games. I own NOTHING. That's the problem.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 09:01 AM by hightreason.)
04-16-2014 09:01 AM
candam Offline

(04-16-2014 09:01 AM)hightreason Wrote:  The price isn't the issue. I bought Esenthel because it was not a subscription model. If I buy 2.0 (which I have) and then you release 3.0, so be it. I can either decide to buy 3.0 or stick to 2.0 FOREVER. However, if I simply subscribe, I can develop games for one year then have to pay again to keep developing games. I own NOTHING. That's the problem.

I guess you're looking at things only in one side !

Now you can actually get the source code version for as low as 2.0 price !!

Source code is there is more from that to feel that you own something ?

By the way don't expect the engine developer to keep supporting his product for life for nothing he has to actually provide his needs

so we need to support him and the best thing is not obligatory it's really your choice smile

Cheers !
04-16-2014 11:02 AM