AndrewBGS Offline

RE: Price Slash - Esenthel is the best deal out there
That would be awesome, but I doubt Greg will let that happen :(
04-11-2014 11:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rstralberg Offline

(04-11-2014 10:01 AM)TheElk Wrote:  Hello Esenthel

Since 2.0 is no longer being supported will you be making it so we do not have to be connected to the net to use it.

Thank you
TheElk

The 2.0 link is there as it always have been.
I have both 2.0 and the new 3.0. They have separate ID's
04-11-2014 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

I doubt this too as it's effectively a security measure
04-11-2014 12:34 PM
Ireheart Offline

2.0 Users should be allowed to use 2.0 without logging in. Also i believe binary users should be allowed to continue working without a subscription with what version that had before ending the subscription like UE4.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2014 01:42 PM by Ireheart.)
04-11-2014 01:38 PM
Rubeus Offline

(04-11-2014 01:47 AM)yvanvds Wrote:  Just bought the source license. Really, it is a nice piece of code. I would even recommend people to buy it for study purposes, if you don't really need it. It's only the price of 4 c++ books and you'll learn a lot from it.

If anything, i feel a bit dirty for getting it this cheap. It's worth a lot more than 160 Euro's a year.

No offence, but if anyone thinks this a bad deal, it might be wise to reconsider their own business plan instead of criticising this one. I mean, you get a full source license for only a penny's worth. If you can't turn that into a profit, isn't time to reconsider the way you're doing business?

I completely agree with all of this. But now I'm going to gripe about the lack of comments in the CPPs. gripegripegripe
04-11-2014 03:04 PM
hightreason Offline

yvanvds, not everyone here is in business. Some of us just want to create games in our spare time. I completely agree that if I were a game company, I would not hesitate at this price. However, not actually owning anything is a deal breaker for me. I cannot buy something that will simply cease to exist in a year.

However, I still own 2.0, so I can't actually complain. I still have what I paid for. I am so glad I got my purchase in before this change was made. I am certain I would not have purchased under this model.
04-16-2014 09:17 AM
sivan Offline

hi,

what happens exactly when a (monthly binary) subscription is canceled? will the editor switch back to demo mode simply?
currently it is unclear for me how the built-in shaders can be customized (it would be essential for me to add various AI debugging shaders). does it require a source subscription?
it would be cool to place a detailed description at the download page what are the exact limitations of the free version... (sorry if there is)

imo it is not an easy thing to define which payment mode is better for different kinds of (potential) users, from the point of view of engine maintenance probably the subscription is much better as no so much pressure on developer to release a new edition with shiny new features so frequently, instead can concentrate on stability and extension of existing good stuff or replacement of old modules...
I'm sure I'll try the new EE subscription soon (I still use 1.0 as a hobby beside another engine) as it is really fine comparing to the previous 200 USD price (that was also not bad at all).

thanks,
Ivan
04-16-2014 02:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Finstern Offline

(04-11-2014 12:02 PM)rstralberg Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 10:01 AM)TheElk Wrote:  Hello Esenthel

Since 2.0 is no longer being supported will you be making it so we do not have to be connected to the net to use it.

Thank you
TheElk

The 2.0 link is there as it always have been.
I have both 2.0 and the new 3.0. They have separate ID's

TheElk isn't talking about the dual 2.0/3.0 problem but about being able to have this 2.0 softwar we all paid and that isn't sold anymore and will never have fix or updates anymore, so there are no real need to protect it with this online connexion anymore.

At worst case, if it get "hacked", just think of it as a better way to make it more known around, as the pirate scene have been doing for ton of software for the past decades, where most successfull and well known app' have been the most pirated.
Since the new Esenthel "as a service" 3.0 isn't really hackable because of the need for account login it would not cause more troubles than what is already possible and please a lot of people currently feeling sorry about losing fix updates.

With this change, you gain ability to work at home on your computer, during voyage on your laptop, mean more flexibility of work.
You still need to unlock the application the first time you install, just not need to have Internet connexion anymore to be able to work (something I find totally stupid and get me angry each time I think about it, being not "online" should be a basic right to anybody >_<)

Also I totally agree with HighTreason : lot of us arn't aiming to sell anything but just want to create our own game.
Private garage game is a hobby like any other, lot of people like this.

A special discount for engine in a "non commercial" licence version (you don't have the right to make a profit with the game you create) would be welcome I think smile
For all the folk like me and HighTreason that wanna make a game but don't intend to sell it, or schools and students also.

(and thus, don't have the investing capacity of any company .. because I totally agree that 100/200 or even 1000 $ a year is close to nothing for any company, even a little one, and especially if this is the cost of their main working tool).
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2014 02:10 PM by Finstern.)
04-30-2014 02:03 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

You know, I just realised, what's holding me back from moving forward with esenthel, is that it's actually expensive. It's disguised very well behind the very low affordable price, BUT that is just the licence for ONE person; If I wanted to work on my game with my 3 friends, I would have to pay 500$, and while I COULD afford 120 per year, 500 is far too much for me.

For example, some engine that i might be moving to is a little more expensive than EE, but besides unlimited support instead of just 1 year support, the licence works for 100 people or so, instead of one. (so if you wanna go like that, it's about 80 times less expensive than EE). The one-person licence discourages me greatly, especially since i found some more people to help me out. Because, Esenthel is actually not so cheap when you want to work with a team.

Just noticing.
05-01-2014 04:39 PM
Rubeus Offline

Remember that making games is 1 of 2 things: a hobby or an investment. In one case, you pay money to amuse yourself. In the other, you pay with the expectation that further on you will get a return greater than what you paid in.
When working as a team, you would realistically only pay for their license should you be employing them. Otherwise, you are paying for their hobby.
Honestly, though, I was the same way for a while when it came to subscriptions at one time; I would always take the standalone product over the subsctiption or digital version. But what has that gotten me? I have a binder full of software that barely suffices, even if it does work on Win7/8. I always end up buying the new vesions anyways. And while it is expensive, it is both my hobby and my investment.
05-01-2014 05:55 PM
Dwight Offline

@AndrewBGS:
Rubeus has access to the source code; It would not be difficult actually to remove the authentication to the EE server and make it so that the custom versions of your EE authenticate to your own server for example if you want it to be "protected", or remove it completely. You can then share this version with your team [compiled version, not source].
-> Source license would thus be cheaper than any other out there for teams bigger than 1 with a good software engineer smile

Hobbies and projects both cost money, and for a project like this, you will always need to invest because you are not using your own solutions. You can also invest just to receive happiness, and not any other monetary compensation in return ["shipping a commercial game"].

Go Esenthel! smile
05-01-2014 08:28 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Quote:You can then share this version with your team [compiled version, not source].
You could do that only if they would own at least the binary subscription.
05-01-2014 08:46 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

There, my point stays; if the licence was for 10 or at least 5 people I might consider it. But my friends aren't as passionate as me and they won't pay for it, and I can't afford paying for all of them myself.
05-02-2014 08:39 AM
yvanvds Offline

Rubeus' point is still valid too. If you have to provide for your friends' hobbies, you're the one taking on that responsibility. Esenthel is not a foundation which aim is to ensure that people can practice their hobbies for free. (Hey, Gregg, perhaps you could get some funding that way smile

It's hardly right to expect lower pricing because of your situation. Or, like your original stated: to remove the licence check from 2.0. Remember that even if the license check was removed, your friends would still have to own a license. So that wouldn't solve anything at all for you.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 10:01 AM by yvanvds.)
05-02-2014 10:01 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

I know; I wasn't expecting or requesting anything. I was just motivating my reasons. I don't expect Esenthel to change for me, I was just stating why it's no longer right for me.
05-02-2014 10:15 AM