About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Terrain as mesh
Biga Offline

Terrain as mesh
Hello,

Met this sentence in a topic about terrains:

"You can import whatever you want, huge meshes are supported as well, just enable "embed into terrain" option in the object properties access mode."

Can you please help me where is this setting? On object properties I see only IDs, paths, etc. On right panel, for list of parameters I see dynamic parameters with options of many data types - should I add this option there? Tried, but was no effect to terrain.

I would like get a sphere terrain, I have a planet created in 3Ds Max, where height data is seen as mesh with a modifier. I can import this to Esenthel, I see the planet fine with height, but I cannot set it as terrain.

thanks,
Gabor
04-26-2014 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: Terrain as mesh
I'm not sure where your reference comes from or what its referring to, maybe something that was in version 1.0 of this engine. Either way, assigning the TERRAIN class in the objects params settings (which is the default class assigned anyway) should see the mesh treated as an embedded object on the terrain. Large objects are broken down by the engine and handled efficiently from my understanding.

Are you actually wanting this planet mesh to be walkable and act as the terrain itself?
04-26-2014 10:35 AM
Biga Offline

yes that would be the plan. we dont want a 2D plane terrain.
ofc the proportion would be not a real size planet, just sth undersized, like a little planet where we want navigate units.
04-26-2014 10:49 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Ah ok, well I'm not sure if you'll need at least one Esenthel Terrain area in order to embed your planet object as I've never tried anything like that.

I can see you having fun with gravity and slopes when it comes to moving around a spherical object though. Will require some special consideration I think.

Someone else might be able to better advise you than me as my experience is purely with flat terrains.
04-26-2014 11:07 AM
georgatos7 Offline

Well if you want to have pathfinding on your object mesh..

1. In the object under the physics select static mesh.
[Image: image.jpg]

2. Select the object tab, select Params and make sure create is selected.
[Image: image.jpg]

3.You might wanna check the PATH tab also.

Now about spheric terrains and planets i doubt that it's going to work with the default build in terrain system since the pathfinding is calculated based on the horizontal plane and not spherically, so in this case you might need to build your own and i don't know if this is possible and to what extent.

You might wanna take a look here.

And also on the second part here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Rg70oTdiQ
(This post was last modified: 04-26-2014 12:05 PM by georgatos7.)
04-26-2014 12:03 PM
Rubeus Offline

There's 2 issues with using a sphere as terrain; 1) pathfinding 2) gravity. Pathfinding will be a bear, but gravity should just involve turning the standard PhysX gravity off, then applying an even force to all objects[ normalize(planetlocation - object location) * gravity_strength ].
04-26-2014 01:37 PM
Biga Offline

thanks for the answers, it is a very good start.
we are working on strategy, not an RPG, so I think we can just switch off gravity and glue units to surface while moving...
so we dont want jumping, falling, etc. what would be important for a character in RPG/MMORPG, we want just moving units on the surface.
well if things become more difficult with world system, we may probably choose a simple textured sphere without terrain/world system. why we look at this system because it gives many advantages like seamless world area changing, pathfinding, etc.
04-26-2014 01:50 PM