About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Another Medieval House
Shatterstar Offline

Another Medieval House
Here is the second house that I made for a new town that I'm working on. the house on the right is from a previous post, but I wanted to show them together. I would like to hear back from the community as to what they think. lol

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 09:24 AM by Shatterstar.)
04-29-2014 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Koniu Offline

RE: Another Medieval House
Too small diversity on the texture on the left model. I think you should add more dirt or f.e. create windows?
IMO both models are too different
04-29-2014 11:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgatos7 Offline

The second building is quite nice also and the dirt amount is enough imo.
Maybe a bit more architectural details would do the trick but they are not necessary.

Also isn't sketchup a bit better than blender in drawing architectural stuff? To me it comes more natural and simple to do them but i got some autocad past so...
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2014 12:49 PM by georgatos7.)
04-29-2014 12:47 PM
Koniu Offline

Models from Sketchup have very bad wireframe (if we talk about a big models) and you can't remesh that in sketchup. In blender, You have full control over the models grid.
04-29-2014 01:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shatterstar Offline

thanks for the feedback. smile
04-29-2014 09:17 PM
RedOcktober Offline

looks good enough to me... with a lil shadowing it'll be ready for prime time...

ok, maybe the big building could use a few windows on the side... or something...

--Mike
05-02-2014 03:01 AM
Shatterstar Offline

you know, you are right. the first level of this building would not have a window. thanks. I will add it. smile
05-03-2014 12:00 AM
Koniu Offline

I said the same! grin
05-03-2014 01:47 PM
Shatterstar Offline

yes you did...and I agreed with you also. but you also said that the windows looked too different. which would be correct for most games. Most games want less textures because it equals less draw calls. so most of the textures for every building are the mostly the same. It also helps for a town to have its own style too. but I often feel like in video games, sharing textures for each building can also make a town look too repetitive, and not realistic. In my game, I'm trying to keep a since of style throughout the town without making every window, brick, and wood exactly the same. I can take the hit on draw calls because my game is not an MMO, and by the time it gets released, which would be a couple of years from now, technology will have progressed with computers that having so many textures will be okay. I'm not in the mind set of what if my game was released tomorrow but in terms of 2 or 3 years from now. When I see pictures of European Medieval towns, which still exist to this very day, many of windows, waddle and daub walls, how it is painted and so on much differ from each other. that is what I'm going for in my game. smile
05-04-2014 03:15 AM
Koniu Offline

I said that the Buildings looked too different not the Windows, for me. If this is yours target, ok, I didn't know, and I support that. Everyone has their own vision and this is cool, if you know what you want to do. Keep your vision and show us progress regularly smile
05-04-2014 12:16 PM
Shatterstar Offline

Shure thing. smile yeah, I really didn't put my target idea out there, so I could see why people would think that I'm just throwing random ideas out there. That was my mistake. I agree. I think it is important for someone to stay true to their vision to see where it takes them. I'll keep everyone posted regularly. thanks for the interest in my work. smile
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 12:37 PM by Shatterstar.)
05-04-2014 12:35 PM