About Store Forum Documentation Contact

EE Library Elements
Rubeus Offline

EE Library Elements
I've found myself using the library elements more and more as I write code files that can be easily used across multiple projects. The problem I have is either:
A) I make a modification to the library, but then I have to update all other projects that use that library
-or-
B) I have all the applications in the same project, but then I have to manually choose to enable/disable assets that I want published with the current application.

So I was wondering if it would be practical to implement some kind of system where libraries are separate projects that can be linked to, so that changing them in one project will affect changes in all projects that use the library. Thoughts?
05-02-2014 12:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dalmat Offline

RE: EE Library Elements
We wonder the same thing as of now. Is it possible, Rubeus, have you found a way?

Thanks!
01-30-2015 04:33 PM
Marbasoft Offline

Sure, it would be usefull to have the same system for personal library as the Esenthel (i tried to add files in the "/esenthel/bin/EsenthelEngine" folder to see if they appear in a project, but it doesn't work pfft)
01-30-2015 05:03 PM
Zervox Offline

thread necro I suppose.
you would create it through right click and New Library in the EE editor.

not sure if that works tbh, I don't use EE code tools, I export my projects to visual studio and work from there.

Edit3: atleast you can make a project, add your library files, update it and use copy to, select the projects and the editor will overwrite the library files there.
Edit2: ignore below as it wasn't the answer to the problem. wink
Edit: It does work
create
New Library
New Code

add functions and what not.
then it can be called throughout your EE project.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 05:50 PM by Zervox.)
01-30-2015 05:42 PM
Rubeus Offline

(01-30-2015 05:42 PM)Zervox Wrote:  thread necro I suppose.
you would create it through right click and New Library in the EE editor.

not sure if that works tbh, I don't use EE code tools, I export my projects to visual studio and work from there.

Edit3: atleast you can make a project, add your library files, update it and use copy to, select the projects and the editor will overwrite the library files there.
Edit2: ignore below as it wasn't the answer to the problem. wink
Edit: It does work
create
New Library
New Code

add functions and what not.
then it can be called throughout your EE project.

Well, that's the way they work now - the way it was designed. My original idea was having multiple separate EE projects that each have the library element. When I make a change to the library element with one project open, opening a separate project with that library element would show those changes.
I originally did as you said in Edit 3. But that was tedious.
Dalmat, my current solution is to have only 1 project. I just have multiple applications(in the same manner as the tutorial project).
All my assets are either in a folder named the same as the application it belongs to, or in a "Shared" folder. It allows me to disable publishing of all assets for the applications I'm not using in 1 click. There is only a single instance of each library with this method that works with all applications.
This works sufficiently for now with only 3 projects and 8 libraries, but it's not ideal.
01-30-2015 07:36 PM
Zervox Offline

Well I would find it logical that the way EE does it, is just that the editor auto includes the predefined headers and uses include library for every project, which would explain why exported projects has "" around Esenthel's lib file, so I am curious if you were to export a project to C++ and build it as a static .lib, include the .lib and import only the headers of the lib you would get what you want. except that I don't think Esenthel imported code files supports reload from source file, which would essentially be what you are asking for. perhaps code files retrieved from a folder could have a checkbox property that would enable automatic reload on filechange.

So, a way for Library code to be autocompiled to a static library and the code inside it could be set per project in a list so that every project you create would have that Library.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 11:59 PM by Zervox.)
01-30-2015 11:57 PM
Dalmat Offline

The way we work now we have a lot of shared content and we were still on EE1.0. Now, if we have to work with only 1 project.. that will be a mess.. I know that we can share trough a shared folder.. but that doesn't help.
Thanks everyone for the tips! If we find a better way (which i don't believe now) i will bump the thread.
02-03-2015 01:27 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

After updating some Shared Library, you can always select it right clicking and do "Copy to Another Project" to overwrite the code elements.
I don't see it other way at the moment.
02-03-2015 11:49 PM