About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Questions from a beginner
Trent242 Offline

Questions from a beginner
I'm looking for a hobby, and would like to tinker and learn in my spare time on creating an MMO. I know all the challenges, and I'm not planning on creating the next WoW or Neverwinter. I originally planned to go with HeroEngine, but then I stumbled across Esenthel... I watched a couple of the Youtube vids and I really liked what I saw (especially the world builder function). I tried Unity previously, but after terrible experiences trying to import Height Maps, I gave up. I just downloaded the Esenthel engine (binary), ( I chose Esenthel over HeroEngine because you can get the full source code for $228 per annum, as opposed to $75 000 for the HeroEngine source) and would like to know the following:

1.) Is this the 2.0 engine? (I don't have a license yet, I'm still in demo mode)
2.) If not, how do I identify between 1.0 and 2.0?
3.) If I purchase the Esenthel MMO (Source Code) now from the store, will I be able to start messing around in it with my demo editor, or would I need to first purchase a license? I'm married and a father of 3, so I need to budget... I'd like to purchase the $228 license in around 2 months time.
4.) What are the limitations of running in demo mode? I have no ambition of creating a commercial product.
5.) As a template for an RPG MMO to start learning from, which would be better to buy : Ineisis Online Source Code or Esenthel MMO (Source Code)?
6.) What (preferably free) tree creation software can you recommend.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 05:02 PM by Trent242.)
05-31-2014 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tottel Offline

RE: Questions from a beginner
Hi there and welcome!

Before anything, if you have the money to spare, you can buy a license and some source code, and start learning.
If you're new to programming and/or don't want to make a reckless investment, then I would advise you not to buy a license yet. Give the demo a try, learn, see if you like it.
Remember that making an MMO is very, very hard.

1. If you buy now, you get the 3.0 engine. To keep it easier, it was just renamed to Esenthel Engine.
2. You won't find 1.0 and 2.0 anymore.
3. If you run the demo version, you will be limited to a certain amount of project elements; It will also periodically remind you that you are running a demo version. However, you'll have no trouble running the MMO example and tweaking it. It might be a problem if you want to add more assets to it. I'm not sure how many project elements are in the example, so I can't say for sure.
4. See above.
5. Esenthel MMO shows the easy basics: Connecting, running around, chatting. But it doesn't do much more. Ineises only works like Minecraft, pretty much. Building, killing, .. Quite a bit more, but also more difficult.
05-31-2014 06:31 PM
Rofar Offline

Are you a programmer?
Do you have your game ideas that you are interested in developing or are you just interested in mmo development in general?
05-31-2014 07:41 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi and welcome!

The Engine licenses that you can see in the Esenthel Store are the latest versions that are constantly being upgraded.

I highly recommend getting the engine's source, you can learn a lot from it, and also customize for your own needs.

6) personally when I need a 3d model, I just browse around websites like turbosquid or 3docean

Hope that helps!
05-31-2014 10:34 PM
Trent242 Offline

Thanks for answering!

I've done C++ at varsity, I've written 2 programs in actionscript as well as a catalogue program in Visual Basic. So just the basics regarding programming.

I travel a fair amount for work, so when on the road and sitting in the BnB at night, I've thrown together an idea for a sci-fi/parallel history mmo. As a hobby, and when free time presents itself, I'd like something that I can tinker with, just to stimulate myself and learn.
05-31-2014 10:49 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Hi Trent, I'd take Tottel's advice if I were you. You need to be a reasonably proficient C++ programmer so use the free engine for a while and see how you get on.

Regarding trees, you could try TreeD by frecle, I'm not sure the company still exists but you can download the software still for free.

Also I believe there are various tree generation plug-ins available for Blender (the open source 3D modelling application).

Otherwise plenty of 3D model providers sell tree models, Dexsoft do some reasonable tree packs, and you'll always find some on Turbosquid (but that site can be expensive). Google is your friend wink

Good luck.
06-01-2014 07:45 AM
Trent242 Offline

Hi again

Does the Esenthel MMO (Source Code) come with source for both server and client?
06-11-2014 07:16 AM
TheElk Offline

(06-11-2014 07:16 AM)Trent242 Wrote:  Hi again

Does the Esenthel MMO (Source Code) come with source for both server and client?

Basic but yes !!
06-11-2014 08:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Trent242 Offline

Thanks TheElk!
06-11-2014 08:35 AM