About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Undo and Redo
innersanctumgm Offline

Undo and Redo
Hello guys,

I just wanted to know if there were buttons (or short cuts for undo and redo).

I have tried Ctrl + z many times and it doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

Btw this is the free demo version.
06-14-2014 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: Undo and Redo
There is no undo(yet) in the world editor. It works in the code editor, though.
06-14-2014 05:15 PM
innersanctumgm Offline

:-(

Oh dear! I was hoping that wouldn't be the case! Why is it every engine I come across that is so good just tends to spoiled by little things like that.

This can really slow down the workflow having to write code each time you want to do a simple undo :-(

Is there any valid reason for not having it ?

Any Ideas on how to accomplish this in the code editor ?

Your directions will be helpful.

Thanks
06-14-2014 05:18 PM
Dwight Offline

It works in the code editor, just not in the world (yet).

It's on the roadmap though, so not to worry! smile
06-14-2014 05:25 PM
innersanctumgm Offline

(06-14-2014 05:25 PM)Dwight Wrote:  It works in the code editor, just not in the world (yet).

It's on the roadmap though, so not to worry! smile

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I am obviously interested in developing with the engine, but something as important as that can't be ignored (seriously, even notepad has undo). It could seriously add wasted hours to development time.

I guess I will wait until it is implemented before putting money down.

Which is sad because it had everything going for it.
06-14-2014 07:02 PM
innersanctumgm Offline

(06-14-2014 09:51 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  There are folks that do okay without the higher level of undos. You will get through it ok, it's amazing how well you adapt knowing that you don't have a thin safety net underneath you grin

Good point. But what keeps coming back to me is that free open source basic applications can undo with no worries. This shouldn't be a problem with such an advanced engine.
06-14-2014 09:54 PM
Dwight Offline

Oh, the previous versions of the engine also had redo/undo; Greg just didn't get to the point yet where he transferred that functionality.

But aceio is right, it makes you incredibly cautious. I'm not deleting an object without good reason nowadays haha grin
06-14-2014 10:19 PM
Rubeus Offline

Not having undo is like going out without pants. You can get used to it, but it's still drafty.
06-15-2014 12:12 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(06-14-2014 05:25 PM)Dwight Wrote:  It's on the roadmap though, so not to worry! smile
Sorry but this is a meaningless statement, as a roadmap with items with no ETA is in itself meaningless. Many of the developments I have seen over the last year were not on the roadmap when I bought my first license and most that were are still on it and are no nearer being developed.

That's not an issue for me as I was prepared to make my game with the existing functionality but I would not advise anyone to place any reliance on any item on the roadmap being developed any time soon ... if at all!

Please don't read this as being negative, I'm just calling it as I see it and trying to avoid giving potential new customers false hope. It is a great engine but make sure you can work with what it has now or be prepared to write your own extensions to it. If roadmap items get developed ... that's a bonus!
06-15-2014 01:43 AM
innersanctumgm Offline

(06-15-2014 01:43 AM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  
(06-14-2014 05:25 PM)Dwight Wrote:  It's on the roadmap though, so not to worry! smile
It is a great engine but make sure you can work with what it has now or be prepared to write your own extensions to it. If roadmap items get developed ... that's a bonus!

Good point. Everything else seems solid. I guess I'll just wait seeing as I have never come across a solution that lacks a GUI undo button.

:-(
06-15-2014 03:18 AM
Dwight Offline

Sorry but this is a meaningless statement, as a roadmap with items with no ETA is in itself meaningless. Many of the developments I have seen over the last year were not on the roadmap when I bought my first license and most that were are still on it and are no nearer being developed.

That's not an issue for me as I was prepared to make my game with the existing functionality but I would not advise anyone to place any reliance on any item on the roadmap being developed any time soon ... if at all!

Please don't read this as being negative, I'm just calling it as I see it and trying to avoid giving potential new customers false hope. It is a great engine but make sure you can work with what it has now or be prepared to write your own extensions to it. If roadmap items get developed ... that's a bonus!

"On the roadmap" as having to be loosely interpretated that "at a certain point in time" we will have that feature, and that it is not something that won't be added.

It states so in the terms as well, and everyone should read the terms before considering an engine.
06-15-2014 10:20 AM
innersanctumgm Offline

(06-15-2014 10:20 AM)Dwight Wrote:  

"On the roadmap" as having to be loosely interpretated that "at a certain point in time" we will have that feature, and that it is not something that won't be added.

It states so in the terms as well, and everyone should read the terms before considering an engine.

True say. But it's just extremely hard to pay for something (on a subscription basis as well) that disregards the undo button. I'm happy I discovered as I was already putting money aside for a 1 year sub.

Makes you wonder what else is disregarded.
06-15-2014 10:38 AM
Pixel Perfect Offline

I wouldn't say the absence of an undo facility in the level editor is that critical. Sure it would be nice to have it but as others have already pointed out you can live without it.

For anything other than direct terrain editing then I wouldn't say it's essential at all ... and even then, performing regular backups can prevent complete showstopper type incidents!

Other aspects of the engine and editor are far more important in my opinion and I wouldn't throw those away just for the lack of an undo option.

It is of course your money, your decision and entirely your choice as to which features are important to you. There are no perfect engines out there so we are all forced to compromise in one way or another. Most of us eventually find something we are happy to settle with.

I wish you luck.
06-15-2014 11:58 AM
candam Offline

(06-15-2014 11:58 AM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  I wouldn't say the absence of an undo facility in the level editor is that critical. Sure it would be nice to have it but as others have already pointed out you can live without it.

For anything other than direct terrain editing then I wouldn't say it's essential at all ... and even then, performing regular backups can prevent complete showstopper type incidents!

Other aspects of the engine and editor are far more important in my opinion and I wouldn't throw those away just for the lack of an undo option.

It is of course your money, your decision and entirely your choice as to which features are important to you. There are no perfect engines out there so we are all forced to compromise in one way or another. Most of us eventually find something we are happy to settle with.

I wish you luck.

I totally agree with you but the problem is Roadmap progress seems to be very close to zero since many months no features has been changed
06-15-2014 12:37 PM
candam Offline

(06-15-2014 01:27 PM)aceio76 Wrote:  @candam, let's be fair to say that there *is* progress, but not always what's in the roadmap, or what's been there long. I think it's fair to say the easier items that are put on the roadmap are the ones that get done first, and the bigger items (long cycles, takes more time, etc) are the ones that are left in the roadmap. I think the issue I identify is that since there is a cycle of feature item requests from users (including Esenthel himself) that are easier to do, those get done first, and hardly not get any time to work on the bigger, harder items, some of which, as some of you pointed out, have been in the roadmap for a long time. I can vouch for that statement since I can identify numerous items that are still there since I joined. Still a great engine, overall. And if you are a cunning developer, you can do wonders with this platform.

Of course I love Esenthel but I just find that roadmap is not progressing I hope it could get better anyway smile
06-15-2014 04:42 PM