About Store Forum Documentation Contact

YSE demo for android and windows
yvanvds Offline

YSE demo for android and windows
Hello again!

I've just finished a tech demo with my sound engine & esenthel. YSE can now be used as a shared library in an esenthel project.

The demo for android is in the play store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...te.ysedemo

The same demo, compiled for windows can be found on the YSE website:
http://attr-x.net/yse

Source code is on github (link on the website). I hope to add a demo for iOS, Mac and Linux over the next week, along with tutorials and such.

Regards,

yvan
06-25-2014 11:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

RE: YSE demo for android and windows
Congrats and thanks for the heads up on this. Downloading the demo now.

Nice job on the web site too!
06-26-2014 08:38 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

I've checked the demo, it's cool indeed smile
06-26-2014 08:52 AM
SamerK Offline

Congrats,. I enjoyed this tech demo specially playing with 3d sound.
06-26-2014 07:21 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

Very cool! Have had a chance to try the demo now and I'm impressed. Will consider using this in any future projects. Really nice work Yvan.
06-27-2014 12:21 PM
yvanvds Offline

Thanks for the supporting words, everyone. If you'd like to use YSE, remember it's still alpha quality. But of course, the more people use it, the more stable it will get. (I plan to write a manual next week).

One new problem though: I started working on the iOS version now. It seems that iOS doesn't allow shared libraries, so that's a new problem. I'll have to consider the route to take:

1. Release a static library. Problem here is that Esenthel as well as JUCE (the lib I use in YSE to read audio files) statically link to ogg/vorbis. So I have a problem with multiple defined symbols.

2. Wait for iOS8. I've read that it would support shared frameworks of some sort.

I'll think it over.
06-28-2014 12:20 AM
Ezequel Offline

Impressive demo, nice work!
06-28-2014 02:08 AM
PsychoBoy Offline

@yvanvds lol, that's surprising. Shared libraries aren't used often anymore, even Microsoft stopped supporting these in their libraries.

Anyway your library is really impressive! What really made me "wow" is sound occlusion, can you add additional filters to sound occlusion, more specifically lowpass filter to only pass bass through wall, this way you could make realistic effect like in real world? grin
06-30-2014 09:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
yvanvds Offline

@PsychoBoy: I'm pretty sure dll's are still supported by microsoft. And on all other platforms except for iOS. Why do you think otherwise?

The sound occlusion is really simple: I provide for setting a callback function with the position of the listener and the target sound. I figure that the best way to do sound occlusion is by using the existing physX functions in esenthel. You can do a raycast and, depending on what objects you encounter, return a number between 0 and 1. Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not that advanced at all. (Of course there is no reason to make it more advanced: FMOD handles sound occlusion internally but requires you to pass a simplified version of your environment to FMOD. I think my approach is easier.)

You can add a 'post' dsp object to any sound or channel you like. Right now, it will not take sound occlusion as a parameter, but perhaps that's something i could include. For now I first want to have the thing compile on all platforms, then make sure it's stable and write more documentation. After that I am open for suggestions. An extra filter is not much work, so just ask me at that time.

Cheers,

yvan

ps. This week there won't e any improvements. I'm at http://www.nime2014.org/ :-)
06-30-2014 10:59 PM
Zervox Offline

(06-30-2014 09:15 PM)PsychoBoy Wrote:  @yvanvds lol, that's surprising. Shared libraries aren't used often anymore, even Microsoft stopped supporting these in their libraries.

I am as curious as yvan on why you think dlls aren't used that often anymore, infact I can't see any less projects than I would many years ago utilizing .dlls

Microsoft sure didn't stop supporting them, and windows is filled to the brim with different .dlls used by the OS itself.

Anyways, great work yvan!smile
07-01-2014 12:07 AM
PsychoBoy Offline

Damn! Sorry guys I meant the opposite - static libraries aren't used often, shared libraries of course are! Hahah

I noticed it because microsoft stopped distributing static version of MFC library. I think that's because of that shared libraries allow to load it dynamically using LoadLibrary() api
07-01-2014 09:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

static libraries aren't rare either. :|
07-01-2014 09:23 PM