About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Problem creating Multishape Physbodies in the Object Editor
3DRaddict Offline

Problem creating Multishape Physbodies in the Object Editor
Unless I'm doing something entirely wrong, creating a multishape physbody for a multipart object mesh is proving rather difficult.
Best explained with a series of screen shots:

Here is my test mesh object consisting of two teapots joined by connector bar:

[Image: EditorMultishapeProblem1.jpg]

I can create this easily enough (one physbody encompassing the whole mesh)

[Image: EditorMultishapeProblem5.jpg]

But I want a seperate physbody shape for each of the three parts comprising the mesh. So I select teapot1, and click Convex32 and get:

[Image: EditorMultishapeProblem2.jpg]

So far so good... but now I also want the second teapot. So I select teapot2 and click Convex32, and then NOT what I expect:
[Image: EditorMultishapeProblem3.jpg]
The physbody shape on teapot1 jumps to teapot2 !

Likewise when the connecting bar is selected and I click Convex16, the physbody shape encompasses the bar, leaving the teapots naked:

[Image: EditorMultishapeProblem4.jpg]

So that's the problem... not so easy (without a lot of fiddling around) to get each part of the mesh with its own individual physbody part.
Please, someone tell me I'm doing something wrong! smile
08-13-2014 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Problem creating Multishape Physbodies in the Object Editor
Hi,

Currently there can be only one Convex per phys body.

If you want to have 2 convex meshes or more.
Then please keep them as separate objects:
-teapot
-teapot
-box/line

create convex phys bodies separately.

inside the game, create all of the 3 object instances, and link their actors with 'Joint'
08-15-2014 03:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Well that's a bit of a bummer...

I'll have to reassemble all my current set of machine parts (comprising multishape actors) using code, and not the Object Editor (which I was hoping for).
08-15-2014 05:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

As an example of Multishape Actors using Convex PhysParts, I've taken the export file from a Multishape Editor I use in the other 3D graphic engine that I also currently work with. I've translated it into an EE compatible format and reassembled the Gearwheel actors using EE code in the CodeEditor.
I must say that I initially thought this would be problematic, but coding in EE is a real pleasure... everything just falls into place!
Here's a video of the two interacting gearwheel actors, with torque force supplied by yours truly, using the mouse.

And here's a pic showing the PhysBodies. Only two hinge joints are used, centered at the axis of each gearwheel.

[Image: ConvexMultishape.jpg]
08-17-2014 12:57 PM
SamerK Offline

very interesting work your doing 3DRaddict. I've been following your topics, truly creative.
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014 01:44 PM by SamerK.)
08-17-2014 01:43 PM
Rubeus Offline

Just imagine what would happen if someone got this guy a copy of Solidworks.... O_O
08-17-2014 11:15 PM