About Store Forum Documentation Contact

For the over-50s
3DRaddict Offline

For the over-50s
This probably applies to very few here, but the super nice thing about retirement is that one now has all the time (within lifetime.max) to devote to those private projects that one only thought about during one's '9 to 5' working life, '5 to 12' family/social life, and dreamed about during '12 to 9' sleeping life.
So, for those approaching retirement, you have much to look forward to! wink
08-30-2014 01:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rubeus Offline

RE: For the over-50s
I'm not 50 yet, but I now find myself calling people in their 20's "kids". Ideally, I would like for my 9-5 working life to be the same as working on my private projects and I am working towards this goal. For retirement, I'm hoping to be able to work on my other 4,739 hobbies that got pushed to the side.
08-30-2014 01:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pixel Perfect Offline

Well I'm 56 and definitely looking forward to retirement (a few years off that yet though) where I can devote some quality time to my various interests in life including game design of course smile

Finding it very hard to find any time at the moment and when I can it's only a few hours here and there which makes for very inefficient development!
08-30-2014 07:38 PM
Rofar Offline

It's nice to know there are those older than me here. Over 50 but retirement is a ways off yet.
09-02-2014 10:34 PM
candam Offline

I'm 22 And I'm not planning to retire soon :-P . I wish to do many things I can't do unless I become free I mean no marriage needs etc
grin
09-03-2014 10:08 AM
rstralberg Offline

Hi guys. Perhaps I'm the OLD man here as I'm 61.
Anyone to beat that smile This means that in my case I have
only two years until retirement. So if just health stands be by,
I'm also looking forward to more time for game development.
09-03-2014 12:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Quote:Perhaps I'm the OLD man here as I'm 61.
Anyone to beat that

Give way to your elders, OLD man... I beat you by 6 years! lol
09-03-2014 01:04 PM
candam Offline

Looks like the elders are so much fond of game development even more than the youth

This is cool and strange grin
09-03-2014 01:18 PM
Zervox Offline

I am going to abrupt this over 50s thingy,I feel this is quite like hearing kindergardners argue about their age, "I am 2 days older than you!",
something just doesn't pass with age it seems. smile
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 01:24 PM by Zervox.)
09-03-2014 01:23 PM
rstralberg Offline

Zervox. Don't be so negative smile
I don't think anyone is bragging over their age, as that's not a really important.
Really thinks its so nice to see that game development is NOT an age thing.
Here we have people from young to a bit not as young which is just terrific.
09-03-2014 02:21 PM
Zervox Offline

I am not being negative, quite the opposite, text might not show it, but it is a good thing tiny jokeful "competetitions" like that still lives in people at any age. wink
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2014 04:14 PM by Zervox.)
09-03-2014 04:13 PM
Pixel Perfect Offline

(09-03-2014 04:13 PM)Zervox Wrote:  I am not being negative, quite the opposite, text might not show it, but it is a good thing tiny jokeful "competetitions" like that still lives in people at any age. wink

Too right, and besides ... my dad's bigger than your dad grin
09-03-2014 04:40 PM
Zervox Offline

(09-03-2014 04:40 PM)Pixel Perfect Wrote:  
(09-03-2014 04:13 PM)Zervox Wrote:  I am not being negative, quite the opposite, text might not show it, but it is a good thing tiny jokeful "competetitions" like that still lives in people at any age. wink

Too right, and besides ... my dad's bigger than your dad grin

I am not even in a position to argue against that. wink
09-03-2014 06:52 PM
rstralberg Offline

Okay. Good then grin
09-04-2014 09:52 AM
RedOcktober Offline

Quote:Looks like the elders are so much fond of game development even more than the youth

that's because many of us remember those "good ole dayz"...

buying a game in a plastic baggy with a manual being nothing more than several 9 1/2 x 11 pages folder in half...
waiting 12 minutes to half an hour for the Commodore-64 tape drive to load the game, all the time hoping it wouldn't error out...
and then finally playing the game... regardless of the fact that it was usually a 2D sprite moving across a 640x480 screen smile

and then someone created DOOM...

no... you youngerns will never fully understand the effect that the smell of opening a brand new Atari, TI-99/4A, Commodore64, or Apple II does to your brain... you'll never know the thrill of the first time you found yourself running through those fantastic psuedo 3D halls of the first DOOM...

you would've had to have been there to understand why we are the damaged goods that you interact with here today...

we've seen a lot... we've been through a lot (of reboots)...

we just can't help ourselves...

--Mike
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2014 03:12 PM by RedOcktober.)
09-08-2014 03:06 PM