About Store Forum Documentation Contact

[SOLVED] Material reflection?
3DRaddict Offline

[SOLVED] Material reflection?
I really wish there was an Esenthel Cookbook available...

I'm getting a little frustrated at the amount of time I have to spend to find explanations/answers hidden away in the documentation depths.The thing is that its difficult to see the wood for the trees, what's important and what's not, what applies for a particular situation and what does not.I really do not want to re-invent any wheels that probably already exist, but are in hiding.

My current problem/query is that I've added a cubemap in the reflection slots of the Material Editor for my ocean material. This shows up nicely in the sample image of the mesh in the Editor, but when applying the material to the mesh in the application code no reflections show up in the running app. The answer is probably simple, but I just can't see it.

[Image: ReflectionProblem.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2014 12:24 PM by 3DRaddict.)
09-07-2014 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Material reflection?
Hi,

I think you'd need to attach a sample project (RAR/ZIP) with the issue present.
09-08-2014 09:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

Thanks, but I'm a little reluctant to do that.
I was just looking for a simple answer to a simple question (or so I thought)
I'll investigate a little deeper and further myself.
09-08-2014 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

I can give you some hints:
-the mesh should have vertex normals
-if you're using engine's shaders then it should be ok, if you're using custom shaders, then you need to include the reflection shader code in your shader.
09-08-2014 01:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
3DRaddict Offline

[SOLVED]Material reflection?
Thanks for those hints. They enabled me to home in on the relevent bits of code in your shaders. I had to add this code to my own custom shader to get the reflection I required. This whole shader thing is a real learning experience for me... good, but frustrating.
Well, my ocean now has some sky reflection, but it still needs foam and fresnel effects where it meets up with the shore. That should be fun! grin
09-09-2014 12:19 PM