About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Character Controller issues
AndrewBGS Offline

Character Controller issues
This is probably my greatest issue with Esenthel. Every time you announce one of your big updates I keep hoping it's this, but it never is.

I know we're free to program it ourselves, but it's annoying to do that when expecting the engine to handle this for us; there are several basic things which really, really annoy me; and some of them, I don't even know how to fix myself:
Most annoying (I'd really need the engine to fix these):
- when jumping from an Item, you can sometimes get HUGE jumps, also when running up a hill and jumping at the end; your character can jump about 10-20 meters.
- also when jumping, (but not always, just jump around a while and it will happen) upon landing, you get a huge speed burst for a short time; I don't even know what's causing this. I can't fix this myself, it happens all the time, and it would make a game look terrible.
Also (smaller issues, could eventually fix myself):
- steps: I know there are workarounds to it, but I think it sucks that we can't actually set the height of the steps a character can take

There are other,s but I'll stop here; my question is: do you ever plan on handling this issues/features, or there's no point in waiting and I should figure out how to workaround these problems on my own?
10-13-2014 08:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Houge Offline

RE: Character Controller issues
Can you please provide videos with jumping issues?
10-13-2014 08:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

I'm at work now, but I will. (you mean not everyone has these problems?? all the time?)
10-13-2014 08:39 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

I have palyed with a lot of things, but didn't try changing the physics material for my player or the terrain my player walks on; should the character have a physics material on???
10-13-2014 02:02 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Why are there no tutorials on this? This is something very basic, and after almost 2 years of esenthel this is the very first time I hear that characters should have physic materials. There really should be a tutorial with a solid character controller that behaves nice enough to be used in games. I'll see if I can fix my problems with this.
10-13-2014 03:32 PM
Koniu Offline

Yeah, I had problem with jump and high speed too. Besides, when you double-click "D" or "A", character has high speed to right / left. I don't know this is feature or bug, but it looks bad. (I have not this problem yet, Isometric camera and mouse control solve this problems pfft)
10-18-2014 12:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AndrewBGS Offline

I think double pressing D or A is what they call "dodge", but I removed that "feature".

I tried the physic material stuff, nothing changed; I played with all those physic material settings from the code before, they don't make much of a difference (well they do, but I can't figure a balance that would make it look realistic).
10-19-2014 08:21 AM
Houge Offline

(10-19-2014 08:21 AM)AndrewBGS Wrote:  I think double pressing D or A is what they call "dodge", but I removed that "feature".

I tried the physic material stuff, nothing changed; I played with all those physic material settings from the code before, they don't make much of a difference (well they do, but I can't figure a balance that would make it look realistic).

Try not to apply speed to character (by WASD) when in air.
10-19-2014 08:15 PM
veksha Offline

speed boost when character is landing and moving bug is still here.
played with damping, but that is not what can fix this.
09-06-2022 05:09 AM
veksha Offline

managed to fix it in "Engine\Source\Physics\Controller.cpp"
lines 309-310:

Code:
}else // falling
{
    actor.addVel(vel*Time.d()*0.1f);
    //_vel_prev.zero();
}

this works for me. maybe someone else is interested.
no more strange speed boost.
09-13-2022 02:14 PM