About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Terrain hole issue
AndrewBGS Offline

Terrain hole issue
This is a big one, whenever I try to make a hole in a mountain I created, the whole mountain gets ripped apart - see the image:

[Image: hole.jpg]
- that is what happened when i right clicked to make a hole with the smallest possible size on the side of the mountain. (no drag was involved).

I've tried placing the hole at any possible angle, including from inside out. the result is the same. Please fix this issue quickly, it totally makes caves impossible.
10-20-2014 10:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ozmodian Offline

RE: Terrain hole issue
I am no expert but if you are trying to make a cave, you cannot use a height map. By definition, a height map simply states what height your character should be at in any given point. If you need a cave, you need to create a terrain object. Same is true if you want something like a step or a solid vertical wall, you cannot texture the side using a height map.

Sorry if this is not the issue.
10-20-2014 11:52 PM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

In order to make a tunnel, you need to make a hole on one side of the mountain, then another hole on other side of the mountain, and connect the holes with a custom made object that acts as the proper tunnel.
10-21-2014 03:45 AM
Pherael Offline

I think you guys misunderstood AndrewBGS. If you make one click with hole tool on steep hill in editor it should make only small hole in terrain, but it make huge rip like on screen. The tool is broken.
10-21-2014 08:32 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Oh I see, it happens when using it with camera from an angle.
I'll investigate this more.
For a workaround: please edit with camera set from top.
10-21-2014 10:21 AM
AndrewBGS Offline

Yes, Pherael understands me grin. I'm not trying to make a tunnel, I don't want to get on the other side. I just want to make a tiny hole in the mountain so I can place my concave cave model in there. I can't do that with the feature working like this.

However, after about 10 more minutes of trying, I did manage to pop the hole correctly; skipping the fact that the terrain hole precision is very low and you can't cut small holes, I was able to cut it while looking at exactly perpendicular to the ground xOz plane. That's very difficult and annoying. I'm sure this tool should not work like this.

Right, I started typing that post before the lunch break and came back to see the workaround posted. So that's what I did, yes, but it's quite annoying.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2014 11:55 AM by AndrewBGS.)
10-21-2014 11:54 AM
Tottel Offline

As Esenthel said: It's a temporary workaround, and definitely not meant to stay like that. smile
10-21-2014 01:33 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

If you're working on that anyway, is there any chance you'd work on making the smallest possible holes even smaller? (increase hole precision?) Currently they require a lot of modelling around on the entrance to hide the cuts in the terrain both on the outside of the cave entrance and on the inside. I can still work around this, but it's a little messy and would make a huge difference if the holes weren't so large.
10-21-2014 03:42 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

I'm using the default terrain resolution. However I have a huge world and large portions of it are highly populated, so I can't afford to start over; unless there's a way to change the terrain resolution of an existing world, I doubt I can make use of that workaround.
10-21-2014 04:13 PM
AndrewBGS Offline

Yes, a few months after I created my map, I did. Not much help now.
10-22-2014 06:11 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello!

Just fixed it in the source, will work OK in next binary release.
11-16-2014 09:53 AM