About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Heighmaps
zeph2 Offline

Heighmaps
Whats the best way in EE when using heighmaps for large open real world terrains considering compile, and load times... Multiple smaller maps or one large one. Seems like anything when importing heightmaps above 25x25 on the X and Y respectively takes a long time..

For example Im currently using a 256x256 stretched out 100x100 X, and Y.. Seems to take for ever to load..Its currently been loading for an hour now.. Would it be better to take a 1024x1024 split it up into a bunch of smaller 256x256 maps, and or just use the 1024x1024 or change the 1024 into a 256x256, and just use one image?
11-17-2014 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Heighmaps
Hi,

Could you describe exactly what do you mean?
Is it Importing Terrain in the Editor or Starting the Game once it's compiled?

I've just tried importing terrain for 25x25 areas in the Editor, it took around 10 seconds.

After that I've clicked "Play" in the Editor, and the game mode appeared instantly.
11-18-2014 12:15 AM
zeph2 Offline

OK.. Im speaking, after creating new world, terrain/import heightmap.. after I select the area size 128x128.. Then click terrain, then click import.. Drag height map into Size option at sizex =100 sizey =100 then it takes like 5 mins to create the hight map.png 8bit grey, and load everything into EE...

Then.. I compile the code, but this takes like an hour to compile the server with the inesis code before I can launch the client.. When I compile without inesis code with default EE code it compiles much fast usually less then five mins.. So I was wondering if map size has anything to do with this or if there is a better way of making it compile, and load much faster..

Also as a side note after I compile the server when I log into the world on the client I see the default flat land areas then the actual height map but the areas do not match at the square edges theyre up, and down with rips/gaps in between.. I would like to get rid of the default flat areas since it takes up more memory, and load times, and make it where there are no gaps between grids on the heighmap
11-18-2014 01:41 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hello,

Could you please describe what things are you doing in this process:
Quote:Then.. I compile the code, but this takes like an hour to compile the server with the inesis code before I can launch the client..
Game data files do not affect the compilation on desktop platforms.
Are you talking about "Publish" option?

I've tried again the 25x25 world, I've created it from the start, and after importing the terrain, I've clicked "Build/Export Project Data", it took ~2 seconds to make the PAK.
11-19-2014 06:03 AM
zeph2 Offline

Sorry for the late reply. I had a death in the family, and I had to handle the Estates..

Ok when loading a game, it takes longer with the Inesis vs non Inesis.. I was looking deeper into the code, and it loads a default flat land first b4 doing heightmap adjustments, so Im thinking this is why its taking longer to load the heightmap..

1) Is there a way to take out the default flat map and bypass that to just using a heightmap out the box?

2)For large real world DEM maps... Which is the best way to load height maps into the engine.. Multiple smaller ones manually pieced together or just one huge one, and stretch it out?
12-14-2014 02:35 PM