About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Transparent car windows
bs_twinbits Offline

Transparent car windows
Hi all,
I tried to load one of my FireTruck model with transparent windows, but when I do so, the windows textur is completly gone and you can see through the truck. What I did. I exported my model from C4D as FBX file with two textures. One for the diffuse one for the transparent channel. All was imported well in Esenthel. The two materials are imported. When I set the tranparent material as Alpha Test in the editor, the texture is completly gone. If I set it as Default, there is no transparency. The texture file for the transparent windows is a PNG file with alpha channel. I tried it also with a TGA file, but the result is the same.
What is my fault?

Attached File(s) Image(s)

12-31-2014 05:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Zervox Offline

RE: Transparent car windows
Did you try increasing the alpha slider below RED,GREEN,BLUE?
as I can see it is at 0, 1 means no alpha 0 fully transparent.
01-01-2015 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bs_twinbits Offline

Yes I tried it, but it's so sensible, that you have only nothing to see, or it's completly transparent. I will have another try. What kind of texture file format is better, to have a transparent channel? I tried both TGA and PNG.
Happy New Year to All!
01-01-2015 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
georgatos7 Offline

Hey,

The problem is that you probably need to place an image on the Color slot of your transparent material. Also don't use Alpha blend, use the Blend Light (for shadowed glass) or Blend (for unlit). Finally if you still have a problem check your glass UVs that they match your alpha texture.

And you can use whatever image format you want for the alpha values. I usually use jpg or png. Also jpg is fine as alpha if you use it as a different texture but if you want to use the alpha channel of the diffuse texture for the alpha values then use png.

Now the "Alpha Test" technique produces sharp results and wont let you use the slider to smooth fade but rather as a sharp threshold.
[Image: opacity01.jpg]

"Blend Light" for Lit and "Blend" for Unlit allows you to use the slider to fade.
[Image: opacity02.jpg]

[Image: opacity03.jpg]

The amount of fade you get for each pixel with the Blends seems sliderValue*alphaTextureValue.
With Alpha test it is 0 if alphaTextureValue<sliderValue and 1 if alphaTextureValue>sliderValue or something like that.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015 09:05 PM by georgatos7.)
01-01-2015 06:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bs_twinbits Offline

Works fine now, many thanks for the instruction Georgatos7 !
01-03-2015 11:10 AM