About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Is it possible to draw clean text with EE?
fatcoder Offline

Is it possible to draw clean text with EE?
I have a (non gaming related) project coming up for which I'm researching tech on at the moment and then I thought that EE might actually work well for it. However, it requires a lot of text to be drawn to the screen and I've just been fiddling to see if I can get EE to draw nice clean text, but so far have been unsuccessful and am about ready to give up on EE as an option for this project. EE ticks all the other boxes the project needs, so if there is a way to get good text drawing, I'll upgrade my license to the latest version and use it.

Here is a screen shot taken from the EE font and text style editors. The text at the top is the best I can come up with in EE. Then underneath I've overlayed some test text done in photoshop. You can see that the EE text matches up pretty close with photoshop's Crisp text. However that is way too blurry and no good. I'm trying to do text like the ones using the None and Sharp settings in photoshop as that gives very clean looking text that is much easier to read.

If I try to get text to look more "clean" in EE, then it ends up becoming too bold. For example, look at the text used in the text fields of the Font Editor (on the left of the screen shot), such as the word "Arial" next to System Font. It looks cleaner, however EE makes it too bold? Why is that? Is it possible to get text to draw thin and clear like the photoshop "None" example shown (which is perfect)?

(This post was last modified: 02-25-2015 03:03 AM by fatcoder.)
02-25-2015 02:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

RE: Is it possible to draw clean text with EE?
Hello!

I'm happy to provide you with a solution as soon as you become an active subscriber.

Thanks smile
02-25-2015 05:51 AM
fatcoder Offline

Thanks! grin I was worried EE wouldn't be able to handle this.

Can you show a screen shot of EE drawing thin clean text like in my example image so that we can evaluate it to make a decision. The quality of the text is very important for this particular project.
02-25-2015 08:06 AM
TBJokers Offline

I wouldn't mind knowing either :x
02-25-2015 09:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Well the solution is very simple, you need to create a font with desired resolution, and then use a text style with called 'TextStyle.setPerPixelSize' (name may be slightly different)

I do that with the Code Editor, nothing tricky about it.
02-25-2015 10:59 PM
fatcoder Offline

The font in the code editor looks so bold though (compared to say visual studio). Unless that is how you wanted it?

I'll have a bit more of a fiddle with it next week and see if I can get the various fonts to look the way we need.
02-26-2015 06:26 AM