About Store Forum Documentation Contact

Network problems while server is running
Matynator Offline

Network problems while server is running
I've just noticed that the collaborative development server application kills network connections from my machine as well as others on the network?.. me and my wife been having a lot of internet issues the past few days. Just earlier i found out the culprit which has been the server i have been running on my pc. i could barely connect to any websites with the server running and as soon as i shut it down any problems disappear.. started the server back up.. bang problems started straight away again. On any browser (Chrome IE and Firefox) it will give a connection error on almost all websites.
05-15-2015 04:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RedcrowProd Offline

RE: Network problems while server is running
yeah it does it to every one, server hosting is killing bw on modem i believe =p
05-15-2015 06:04 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

Hi,

The network usage depends on the amount of data that needs to be synchronized between the client and server.

I use highest possible compression algorithm which is LZMA.

So it all depends on the size of your project and changes made.
Of course network usage will go down once changes get fully synchronized.
05-16-2015 05:28 AM
Zervox Offline

To be honest I've had no issues whatsover with the server tool.

Browser should not get capped out because of the tool alone, this sound like a Router/Modem issue, NIC or Anti-Virus medling issue.
as a Router should at all times be able to balance data based on priority-amount of connections, and atleast mine never allows any connection use all bandwidth unless it is the only requesting one(well... except if it is Steam in which case I've got a special priority rule to put everything else on hold except of a few other programs like skype).

Another thing might be a connection limit on windows.
either try this
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/For...networking
or
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
on optimal settings
3.0.8 for (versions up to Windows 7/2008 Server)
v4.0.0 Beta(Windows 8, 2012 Server, and Windows 10) ) - not sure if this one works for Win7.

for linux I don't think there is such default limitations. wink
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2015 03:28 PM by Zervox.)
05-16-2015 03:23 PM
Matynator Offline

(05-16-2015 05:28 AM)Esenthel Wrote:  The network usage depends on the amount of data that needs to be synchronized between the client and server.

When the problems occured the server was already completely in sync and even idle as I did not have any clients connected to the server to sync with.
so i do not know why it would give any issues as its not supposed to be doing much right at that moment in time.

About the modem and my pc's bandwidth, they both have a 1gb/s connection, so does the switch that is in between them.
05-31-2015 10:05 AM
Esenthel Offline
Administrator

(05-31-2015 10:05 AM)Matynator Wrote:  When the problems occured the server was already completely in sync and even idle as I did not have any clients connected to the server to sync with.
Are you really sure that's the situation?
When there are no connections then the Server shouldn't be doing anything.
Only on startup it can update the project if it's of old file format version (one time operation), in that case the CPU usage will be high.

You have the Server source code in this project:
https://github.com/Esenthel/EsenthelEngi...ll%23761m7
to be opened with Esenthel Editor itself.

The main loop being:
Code:
bool Update()
{
   CurTime.getUTC();
   Server.update(); // update server, this accepts new clients and processes all existing
   Gui.update();
   Time.wait(1);

// auto save
   if(Time.appTime()>=SaveTime)
   {
      SaveTime=Time.appTime()+AutoSaveTime;
      REPAO(Projects).save();
   }
   return true;
}

You can debug / comment out some things for testing if you'd like.

I use server quite often and I don't have any issues with it.
05-31-2015 11:10 PM
Marbasoft Offline

(05-15-2015 04:05 AM)Matynator Wrote:  I've just noticed that the collaborative development server application kills network connections from my machine as well as others on the network?.. me and my wife been having a lot of internet issues the past few days. Just earlier i found out the culprit which has been the server i have been running on my pc. i could barely connect to any websites with the server running and as soon as i shut it down any problems disappear.. started the server back up.. bang problems started straight away again. On any browser (Chrome IE and Firefox) it will give a connection error on almost all websites.

I have the same problem but with the client. The server is on another machine and i'm not always connected to the server when i had the problem (the address is filled, but i'm not connected)
Didn't had the time to find the solution so i just restart Esenthel client (i changed some code on it that's why i was thinking it's my own code that bug so i don't report the problem)

for information i use avast, perhaps the problem is outside Esenthel
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2015 07:31 AM by Marbasoft.)
06-01-2015 07:29 AM